What your significant other does with food and drink that annoys you?

40 years ago I had a Nigerian girlfriend. I took her home to meet Mum and Dad. Mum was a very good cook. At the end of the meal she let out an amazing belch followed by a lady like fart. My Mum did not bat an eyelid, Dad laughed like crazy. Mum knew what dad and I did not, its is a sign in her culture of great appreciation for the food.

40 years ago I had a Nigerian girlfriend. I took her home to meet Mum and Dad. Mum was a very good cook. At the end of the meal she let out an amazing belch followed by a lady like fart. My Mum did not bat an eyelid, Dad laughed like crazy. Mum knew what dad and I did not, its is a sign in her culture of great appreciation for the food.
But to be able to fart at will? My husband has that talent. I can't imagine.

I just figured out your real name. Felix Unger.

CD :D
"The Odd Couple" is one of my favorite movies and TV shows. I love it, and whenever I watch it, a part of me is always ticked off at Oscar for making things so difficult for well-meaning friend Felix. :)

Mum knew what dad and I did not, its is a sign in her culture of great appreciation for the food.
My FIL used to belch like that after a meal, every meal, and say, "What? In some cultures, that's a sign of respect!"

It was funny the first 624 times, but after that, the charm wore off a little. 😐

That sounds so much like my grandmother. She says she liked the food, then I find out from my aunt she didn't like it :D

I had a boyfriend who used to eat everything on his plate and then some more, and in the end he'd say: "You know, this tasted kinda weird"

My son is like that. He will scarf down his food and then mention something negative about it after-the-fact. I ask him "How would you know? It didn't look like anything hit your taste buds." LOL

Last edited:
Yeah it's really irritating at times but imo also not worth fighting over so usually I just take care of it.

Believe it or not, he and I didn't argue throughout our marriage. I figured it's because we both had our "own" space (mine - kitchen, his -garage) so we didn't butt heads about much of anything. I appreciated him at the time.

I had a boyfriend who used to eat everything on his plate and then some more, and in the end he'd say: "You know, this tasted kinda weird"

MrsTasty is somewhat like that, and not just with food. She can find the one negative thing in anything, and that's what she focuses on.

Go out to a nice, expensive meal, with top-notch service, excellent food, serene piano bar..."The A/C is too cold!"

Go out to a favorite sit-down Chinese restaurant (not a buffet), with attentive staff, interesting selection, calming ambiance..."The water tastes funny."

Go to McD's for a Big Mac Value Meal..."You have more fries than I have."

It always makes me feel like, no matter what, she's not enjoying her meal, because it's always complaint after complaint after complaint.

I finally complained about her nitpicking everything apart and constantly complaining, and declared that there was no restaurant on earth that would ever satisfy her, no meal or dish good enough, and she looked genuinely surprised and said that just because she was complaining about something didn't mean she didn't like it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

TastyReuben once again I'm seeing striking similarities between your family and my grandma once again. We say no matter you do my grandma will always find a fault. Even in a bag of salt. Years ago she ran out of table salt while she was cooking and asked me to go the supermarket and bring her the cheapest salt I could find, which I did, and then she complained the salt was too small and she couldn't season anything with it.

I asked hubby if leftovers would be okay for dinner. He says sure. We usually eat around 9-10, so around 8:30 I hear clanging in the kitchen and go into the kitchen to see my husband pulling out a small pan with a container of leftover Bolognese sauce from the refrigerator. I had just cleaned the stove earlier. The amount of sauce in the container is going to come within 1/2 inch of the top of the pan. I grab a pan that's just a little larger and say, "Here, use this one instead." He snaps: "Why can't you ever let me do anything in the kitchen?" Me: I just cleaned the stove and don't feel like doing it twice in the same day. If you use that pan, as you warm the sauce and stir it, some is going to spill on the stove." So he gets frustrated and says that I always have to micromanage anything, says he isn't hungry anymore, and storms out of the kitchen.

Sigh.

When I said we eat on different schedules, this is what I meant, fresh from today:

Sitting on the couch at 5PM, just finishing something with work, and MrsTasty asks what's for supper. I tell her, "Quick salad, and using leftovers to make a frittata. I'll have the salads together in about 15 minutes."

We nearly always eat between 6PM-6:30PM, so for a leftovers supper, I'm actually a bit ahead of the clock.

5:10PM, I finish work, immediately get up and start tearing up the lettuce. Salad is lettuce, radish, and vinaigrette that's already made, so it's literally minutes away from being done.

I hear the fridge door open, then the snacks cupboard, and I look up, and there she is, now mere seconds away from salad, carting a tub of cream cheese and a big bag of pretzels into the living room. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
When I said we eat on different schedules, this is what I meant, fresh from today:

Sitting on the couch at 5PM, just finishing something with work, and MrsTasty asks what's for supper. I tell her, "Quick salad, and using leftovers to make a frittata. I'll have the salads together in about 15 minutes."

We nearly always eat between 6PM-6:PM, so for a leftovers supper, I'm actually a bit ahead of the clock.

5:10PM, I finish work, immediately get up and start tearing up the lettuce. Salad is lettuce, radish, and vinaigrette that's already made, so it's literally minutes away from being done.

I hear the fridge door open, then the snacks cupboard, and I look up, and there she is, now mere seconds away from salad, carting a tub of cream cheese and a big bag of pretzels into the living room. 🤦🏻‍♂️

My wife gets home at 5:15 pm from work. She knows dinner is ready between 5:30 and 6:30. We normally discuss the night before what she feels like. I'm making rissoles mash spud and swede mash as well. Rissoles are sausage meat parsley onion s and p bit of tomato sauce and Worcester as well mixed up and fried later. She will prolly request chicken tomorrow. She occasionally takes snacks upstairs around 7:30.
You make rissoles tr?

Russ

My wife gets home at 5:15 pm from work. She knows dinner is ready between 5:30 and 6:30. We normally discuss the night before what she feels like. I'm making rissoles mash spud and swede mash as well. Rissoles are sausage meat parsley onion s and p bit of tomato sauce and Worcester as well mixed up and fried later. She will prolly request chicken tomorrow. She occasionally takes snacks upstairs around 7:30.
You make rissoles tr?

Russ
No, we don't really have much of a tradition of rissoles here. When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes make a hash of leftover meat, with some onion, an egg to bind it, maybe some bread to stretch it a bit, almost like a meatball or a meatloaf mixture, and patty those out to fry. Probably the closest thing to a rissole, but she didn't call them that. She called them beef cakes or pork cakes. Her mom made them as well.

You have dinner so early. At my parents house dinner was at 9PM sometimes later. I often have dinner after 8PM, some days I have dinner at 7PM and people tell me I dine early!

Back
Top Bottom