What your significant other does with food and drink that annoys you?

Dogs like all kinds of things people wouldn't eat or drink.

I had the missfortune pf tasting anti-freeze once. Not intentionally -- it involved my dad working on a car. It does have a sweetness to it, but it is, nonetheless, nasty.

CD
Now I really feel the need to try some antifreeze! :laugh:

The gewürztraminer we buy is very peppery, it's a go-to wine in our house. When we place our usual wine order of two cases, it's not unusual for half of that to be gewürztraminer. The winery recommends serving it with Asian cuisine, light cheeses, fleshy/fatty game, and smoked salmon. We both like it with lunchmeat sandwiches (usually ham) and chips/crisps.

in the '90s I fired my employer and went independent. as an unimportant aside, things went quite well - which led to:

DW was teaching, I was (mostly - some travel involved....) working from home office - I had the freedom of time and detail to prepare any and everything we could come up with. 20 year result . . . we're now both on a diet aka "slimming" . . .

so when dining out I'm always looking for something that's a real PITA to prepare, something that would not appear on our home menu.

the irritation?
DW orders chicken, I order "out-of-this-world"
dishes arrive, DW ganders and opines "Oh, that looks better than what I ordered...."
lately she has opted to intentionally violate her comfort zone. I actually succeeded in selling a forkful of beef tartare post mini-taste. hope abounds.

oh. no, you can't have her - I'm keeping DW. she's a treasure.
according to folklore, all females marry with the conviction they can change their male spouses; I'm having some success at changing my female dining spouse.....

I wonder what she would think of my husband when he picks up his soup bowl at the end and drinks the last of the broth from the bowl :laugh:

I do that, when I am alone or with immediate family or close friends. I would never do that at a restaurant. :ohmy:

CD

Dad's eldest sibling/sister never married. She lived two houses away from us and was our "Grandmother". Lurnice was an amazing woman. At age twenty she had her Masters Degree in Mathematics from LSU. She traveled all over the U.S and for many years made annual trips to France. She was awarded the Volunteer of the Year Award several times. She entertained frequently, She taught us how to set a table, plan and prepare a formal dinner and of course the proper use of cutlery and glass ware. One thing she did when preparing for a dinner party was set her table several days in advance then drape it with dry cleaner bags to keep the settings dust free.
She was on the Board of Directors of the Community Concert Association. Six or seven concerts each year at the performing arts center. Everything from pianist, ballet, opera, symphonies, musicals. She took me to every performance from the age of 5 until I graduated from high school. I owe so much to my wonderful Aunt. I miss her.
Table manners are my pet peave with George. He inhales his food, takes huge bites and talks with food in is mouth. He does everything but lick his plate. He will use his knife and fork or a piece of bread to scrape every scrap of food or drop of sauce off of his plate. When we go out to dinner with friends everyone else is on their second or third bite and his plate is clean. He is clueless about proper utensil use.
Lurnice would smack him on the side of his head if he did that at her dinner table.

according to folklore, all females marry with the conviction they can change their male spouses; I'm having some success at changing my female dining spouse.....

Interestingly, my sister and were having this conversation about an hour ago about a male friend of hers. He had called her this morning griping about his girlfriend of 2 months, stating a list of the things she said she wished he did or didn't do. We both said, "She knew all of these things about him when they started dating, doesn't she know better than to try to "fix" him?" Especially at 66 years old, my word.

That's a lesson I repeated to my stepdaughters as they reached dating age. Find a man who has flaws you can live with and make sure that the very important values you both have are similar on major issues such as having children (or not), politics, and religion. Never, ever try to make them change. It took me a long time to meet their dad (I was in my late 30s) and before that I never had a relationship that lasted more than 3 years. He and I have been together for over 20 and we are still happy with each other, so...

Although I don't think that altering someone's food tastes counts. I have managed to alter the tastes of my husband in the past 20 years. When we met, he wouldn't eat sushi, he didn't like raw oysters, he didn't like pot roast, he wouldn't eat salmon except for smoked salmon on a bagel, and there are a few other foods I have helped him learn to appreciate over the years. I actually did have to be a trickster to pull that off, LOL.

How I tricked him: apparently, the only time he had ever eaten sushi it was at a rather high-end party where the sushi "tray" was a nude woman. I am sure she was perfectly cleaned and all hair removed before they placed the sushi on her, and she had to lie very, very still for hours, but the sushi was warm and he found it creepy for food to be served on someone's skin. Yuck. I took him out to happy hour one night and we had a few cocktails, then we went to a very nice Japanese restaurant. I started him out on cooked sushi like California rolls, fried soft-shell crab rolls, etc. He liked it. He had a couple more drinks and got some courage to try my raw fish rolls, and loved it ever since (though we haven't had sushi since COVID). He had never even tried raw oysters before he met me, but that was easy (yes, I plied him with alcohol first, LOL). And then, the pot roast: his mother made very dry, stringy pot roast when he was a kid and he wouldn't even try my tender, juicy slow-cooked pot roast (I suspect MIL didn't cook hers long enough for it to be tender). I cooked it, his kids loved it, but he wouldn't eat it...until one night I cubed it into chunks, diced the potatoes, carrots, and onions into smaller pieces, and called it "beef stew" instead of pot roast. Everything else about it was the same. He loved it!!!!! I started putting lemon-pepper and dill seasoned salmon on our bagels instead of using smoked salmon in the package and we both thought it tasted better. After enjoying the bagels so much with the fresh salmon on them, he didn't blink or object ever again to eating it as an entree at dinner with either salad or asparagus.

When it comes to food George's idea of cooking is "camp food". Heavy, greasy, boiled, overcooked. He has learned to enjoy more refined cooking where flavor instead of volume is important. He now uses broth or wine instead of water. He still uses a lot of seasoning mixes but is learning to season with individual ingredients. I am still trying to teach him to judge the doneness of a steak by touch instead of timing it. When it comes to eating he will eat anything. He will clean his plate then say "I really didn't like that." :banghead:
At 73 my love is not going to make many changes. He is who he is and I love him - warts and all.

He will clean his plate then say "I really didn't like that." :banghead:
That's my mom. Always frustrated me growing up because after having six kids, my mom went from a little 5-foot, 16-inch waist, barley-there newlywed to a 5-foot beach ball for much of her 30's-40's.

It frustrated me because she always complained about her weight, incessantly, and yet ate and ate and ate...even stuff she didn't like. She'd get something, try it, say it wasn't any good, push it away, then proceed to pick and pick and pick at it until it was gone, complaining the whole time, "I don't know why I'm eating this..."

When pushed, she'd blame it on her upbringing. Nothing got wasted. Nothing. You ate it or you didn't eat, and you cleaned your plate down to the pattern, even if you felt like you were going to puke, or else you got a beating...and then you had to clean your plate.

To this day, 82 years old, and she can't throw anything away, food or otherwise. Containers, old dish cloths, magazines, it doesn't matter. She'll say, "I better hang on to that, somebody might need that someday."

She'll rail against the poor cooking in local restaurants ("that wasn't fit to eat!), then ask her what she had for supper, and it'll be the leftovers from the not-fit-to-eat lunch they had. I've seen her taste something, make a face, then keep eating. It boggles my mind.

That's my mom. Always frustrated me growing up because after having six kids, my mom went from a little 5-foot, 16-inch waist, barley-there newlywed to a 5-foot beach ball for much of her 30's-40's.

It frustrated me because she always complained about her weight, incessantly, and yet ate and ate and ate...even stuff she didn't like. She'd get something, try it, say it wasn't any good, push it away, then proceed to pick and pick and pick at it until it was gone, complaining the whole time, "I don't know why I'm eating this..."

When pushed, she'd blame it on her upbringing. Nothing got wasted. Nothing. You ate it or you didn't eat, and you cleaned your plate down to the pattern, even if you felt like you were going to puke, or else you got a beating...and then you had to clean your plate.

To this day, 82 years old, and she can't throw anything away, food or otherwise. Containers, old dish cloths, magazines, it doesn't matter. She'll say, "I better hang on to that, somebody might need that someday."

She'll rail against the poor cooking in local restaurants ("that wasn't fit to eat!), then ask her what she had for supper, and it'll be the leftovers from the not-fit-to-eat lunch they had. I've seen her taste something, make a face, then keep eating. It boggles my mind.
It's that depression era mentality. My mom was a bit of a hoarder as a result and I would fly down to Florida to visit her and spend the week cleaning her house and getting rid of junk when she wasn't looking. And I mean junk, really worthless, like a broken, cheap dresser that was made of particle board and not worth fixing. And cleaning out her refrigerator was disgusting, but I would have to clean it before I went to the store to buy food to put in it. I remember one time I was making a sandwich and asked her how old the mayonnaise was, and she said, "Oh I just bought it a few weeks ago." I looked at the date and it had been expired for a couple of years.

It's that depression era mentality. My mom was a bit of a hoarder as a result and I would fly down to Florida to visit her and spend the week cleaning her house and getting rid of junk when she wasn't looking. And I mean junk, really worthless, like a broken, cheap dresser that was made of particle board and not worth fixing. And cleaning out her refrigerator was disgusting, but I would have to clean it before I went to the store to buy food to put in it. I remember one time I was making a sandwich and asked her how old the mayonnaise was, and she said, "Oh I just bought it a few weeks ago." I looked at the date and it had been expired for a couple of years.
My mom always complains about her fridge being so full, the door won't shut. One year, I was home visiting, and I offered to clean it out for her. She enthusiastically agreed, and I started tossing stuff.

As soon as I'd throw something out, she'd go get it out of the trash: "Well, someone might need a jar like that, I'll just wash it."

Or, throwing out a heavily-molded pepper, "There's still a spot on that that's good, I can just cut the rest off."

I think by the end of the exercise, we were just barely able to get the door shut. :)

It's funny how it goes in circles, though, because I'm the first to admit that my MO is, when in doubt, throw it out.

My mom always complains about her fridge being so full, the door won't shut. One year, I was home visiting, and I offered to clean it out for her. She enthusiastically agreed, and I started tossing stuff.

As soon as I'd throw something out, she'd go get it out of the trash: "Well, someone might need a jar like that, I'll just wash it."

Or, throwing out a heavily-molded pepper, "There's still a spot on that that's good, I can just cut the rest off."

I think by the end of the exercise, we were just barely able to get the door shut. :)

It's funny how it goes in circles, though, because I'm the first to admit that my MO is, when in doubt, throw it out.

I go through our fridge about once a month throwing out expired goods. My wife forgets about food once it's in the fridge. Pi$&$& me off.

Russ

That is an odd one. So nothing hot and nothing cold? No ice-cream then! Must be a bit of a problem. Or do you just serve things up, eat yours and wait for hers to cool down or conversely warm up to room temperature?
She's a nurse and serves us hospital food in hospital condition.
Wife has never, ever had a bad meal.
Remember, wife is a vegetarian that doesn't like vegetables.

In 15 years of marriage she's never listened to a word I've said and it's worked out good.
A strange situation I live in.

Back
Top Bottom