Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably worthy of a separate topic, but because I'm fascinated by different cultures anyway, and because I enjoy the occasional tipple, I always like to read about, and experience drinking cultures from around the world.

The drinking culture in our neck of the woods accepts that drinking at day break is acceptable for funerals and weddings (3 to 5 day duration each) house warmings, investitures for monks, new car blessings, New Years (we have two per year) and certain other non religious holidays. The odds are that if you know sufficient people you could be acceptably blitzed for at least six months of the year.

I'm ashamed to admit my drinking pattern. Its a lot and I suspect far more than any other members here. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) I can drink anyone under the table and have done, literally. I very rarely drink spirits though.

I'm ashamed to admit my drinking pattern. Its a lot and I suspect far more than any other members here. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) I can drink anyone under the table and have done, literally. I very rarely drink spirits though.
I'm really not judgmental about drinking habits. Some folks drink all the time, some not at all, some handle it better than others.

To use a common phrase here, as long as you're not "showing your ass," it's all good AFAIK.

I certainly don't want to bring stereotyping into anything, but in my various travels, Norwegians are right up there in the hardcore drinker category. My theory is that alcohol is so outlandishly expensive in their own country that it must appear cheap just about anywhere else in the world and they knock it back with total abandon.

Our Norwegian joint venture partner's MD came over to London for a client meeting and brought his accountant. They arrived the evening before and the accountant was fishcaked as he disembarked the plane. He fell off his seat in the Hilton rooftop restaurant and almost had us ejected by asking, quite forcibly, a young girl at a family birthday gathering to dance.

Schell Ormudsen was his name. First and only time I met him but I'll not forget.

I'm the same, I can drink and drink, when I've had enough, I go to bed. Guess I'm a happy drunk. I hate bad drunks, ones that argue or cause trouble. I don't drink before 8.30 ish pm. Normally take a drink upstairs around 8 to 9 pm. Wife hardly drinks.

Russ

Our Norwegian joint venture partner's MD came over to London for a client meeting and brought his accountant. They arrived the evening before and the accountant was fishcaked as he disembarked the plane. He fell off his seat in the Hilton rooftop restaurant and almost had us ejected by asking, quite forcibly, a young girl at a family birthday gathering to dance.

Schell Ormudsen was his name. First and only time I met him but I'll not forget.

Same here. A guy here called Jeff Martin, my brother asked me to look after him for one night because he wasn't here. In town and he got munted, abusing people and when he met a woman I know, he tried it on with her, going on about how rich he was. After a couple of hours I slipped away. Never saw him again. Some people just stick in your mind. That was 20 years ago. It's a wonder I never punched him!

Russ

I'm ashamed to admit my drinking pattern. Its a lot and I suspect far more than any other members here.

I'm not sure that I'd put money on that :happy::happy::happy:.

I'd say if you don't drink before 7pm and only drink beer then you aren't a complete pish head.

7 am. MG, AM!

Actually I once did drink before 7 am. We met up in the bar of the Shangri-La hotel one Sunday morning at 06:00 to watch the Tyson 'v' somebody else fight on TV. I'd been on a serious bender the previous night and was not in top form. I ordered a beer, drank half of it then slept for the next 3 hours. Didn't matter because the main bout didn't start until 11 am and I don't particularly like boxing anyway!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom