Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 41735
I took the family to Mackinac Island this weekend. There, we got to do something we haven’t been able to do in months: go out to eat. The restaurants were very careful: masks required upon entry, tables separated, paper menus that were discarded after use (or some that were only available electronically).

The Main Street was almost deserted...which I thought was great, since there were minimal crowds for the first time in all the years I’ve been coming here. Business haven’t fully opened, but they will. For those who don’t know, this island is unique in that motor vehicles are prohibited. You can get horse-drawn carriages, which we did in a tour of the island.

View attachment 41736

It’s about a 5 hour drive to get there. As an added bonus, the cruise control didn’t work on my car. On the way back, my wife’s wireless earbuds failed, and we had to stop at 7 different places to find a replacement (things are not exactly cutting edge in this fairly remote area). This added an hour to the drive home.

When I got home, after unpacking, I saw that we had a chair delivered that we had ordered, so I put that together.

Later on, when I had a chance to relax, I treated myself to this.

IView attachment 41734

I think I earned it.

Cancun= tequilla. You deserve it,lol.

Russ

I just gave my daughter 1 litre of vodka to make limoncello with lemons from our tree. I will report back.

Russ
Very interested in this. I remember you talking about your lemon trees, and having so many lemons you’re not sure what to do with them all. This is a creative use for all that juice.

Very interested in this. I remember you talking about your lemon trees, and having so many lemons you’re not sure what to do with them all. This is a creative use for all that juice.

It's winter here, our front tree is producing and has been for a month or so. The tree at the back has fruit but all green. I don't get ones ready and the other isn't. Mr7 and his cousins pee on the back tree a lot. I've been freezing as I go the juice. Lime tree is miserable, AGAIN!! Just 1 again but not ready. Kaffir tree has limes I can zest for Thai curries, plus the leaves.

Russ

I just gave my daughter 1 litre of vodka to make limoncello with lemons from our tree. I will report back.

Russ

Many years ago a friend brought a 1 litre bottle of vodka for me from Cambodia. I'm not really a vodka drinker so I knecked it and inserted a couple of slotted cayenne chilli peppers. After maybe 3 or 4 months we took it down to the local Sing-a-Song and the girls loved it.

Many years ago a friend brought a 1 litre bottle of vodka for me from Cambodia. I'm not really a vodka drinker so I knecked it and inserted a couple of slotted cayenne chilli peppers. After maybe 3 or 4 months we took it down to the local Sing-a-Song and the girls loved it.

I have infused vodka with fruit. It is also a popular party gimmick to drill a hole in a watermelon, let the juice drain, and fill it with vodka.

I also make my own vanilla extract, because we can't buy real extract in most stores in Texas because of the alcohol content.

CD

Blimey - can you imagine anyone drinking vanilla extract to get drunk? How do you go about making it (thread hijack - sorry)?

Oh yeah, on it's own, the taste is strong and not pleasant.

I make it by soaking split vanilla beans (from Madagascar or Mexico) in vodka for at least 3 months. I use Quart Mason Jars. I also give the jars a brief shake every day.

To be honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference in baked goods, but I bottle them in small bottles with a stopper, like the ones you find on some beer bottles. I give them to friends and family around the holiday baking season.

CD

I have infused vodka with fruit. It is also a popular party gimmick to drill a hole in a watermelon, let the juice drain, and fill it with vodka.

I also make my own vanilla extract, because we can't buy real extract in most stores in Texas because of the alcohol content.

CD

151 works as well! :whistling:

Oh yeah, on it's own, the taste is strong and not pleasant.

I make it by soaking split vanilla beans (from Madagascar or Mexico) in vodka for at least 3 months. I use Quart Mason Jars. I also give the jars a brief shake every day.

To be honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference in baked goods, but I bottle them in small bottles with a stopper, like the ones you find on some beer bottles. I give them to friends and family around the holiday baking season.

CD
Very cool. I've used substitutions when I can't find vanilla extract: almond extract seems to be more available, and can be used in a 50% proportion to the quantity of vanilla extract needed (so, 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract = 1 teaspoon vanilla extract). It's not exactly the same, but it works out well enough when making something where you don't need a specifically vanilla flavor.

Someone gave me Malibu rum that I am not particularly keen on. I use it in lieu of or in conjunction with vanilla extract with pancakes and banana bread.

Someone gave me Malibu rum that I am not particularly keen on. I use it in lieu of or in conjunction with vanilla extract with pancakes and banana bread.

My personal favorite for rum these days is this one:
12267693998110.png

I used to avoid spiced rum the way I avoid flavored vodka: my feeling usually is that you should get unflavored liquor and then add your own (much purer) flavors later. But, this one isn't obnoxiously spiced, and it's very affordable as well as available even in supermarkets. Plus, a cool bottle and 94 proof are nice bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom