Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time we went to our now favorite Mexican restaurant, I had a mojito made with tequila, agave, and a Mexican mineral water called Topo Chico. It was absolutely delish and had me hooked! I never have more than 1 drink when we go out for dinner since I drive, but made an exception that night and had 2.

3 ounces silver/clear tequila
1-1/2 ounces Amber/light agave
Juice of 1 lime
2 large mint leaves
2-3 ounce Topo Chico or other sparkling mineral water

Place mint in bottom of glass, then ice cubes. Muddle mint with ice cubes. Add tequila, muddle. Add agave, stir briskly to mix. Add lime juice and stir briskly. Top with mineral water and stir briskly.

You can also add everything to a cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes. Shake well and serve over a glass of ice.

I tried tequila for the first time a few weeks ago, I thought it would have a bite due to seeing people use salt or lemon to suck on. I found it quite mild and sweet.

Russ

I tried tequila for the first time a few weeks ago, I thought it would have a bite due to seeing people use salt or lemon to suck on. I found it quite mild and sweet.

Russ

Straight up tequila? It should be a bit of a burn and then leave you with a nice warm feeling in your throat. I've never found it sweet unless it's in a mixed drink.

Straight up tequila? It should be a bit of a burn and then leave you with a nice warm feeling in your throat. I've never found it sweet unless it's in a mixed drink.

Yeah, that was what I was expecting as well, it was a sample wee bottle and it said tequila so it took me by surprise.
I prolly wouldn't buy it based on that.
Ok, maybe I'll try it again from a bar.
Russ

Expensive tequila is quite smooth and some use it as a sipping liquor. Then there is Mezcal, especially the ones with the worm in the bottle.

Yeah, that was what I was expecting as well, it was a sample wee bottle and it said tequila so it took me by surprise.
I prolly wouldn't buy it based on that.
Ok, maybe I'll try it again from a bar.
Russ

It might have been mixed with something else. Its certainly not a sweet drink. I have some here...

BC15D6EA-7041-4571-9DCC-1032110ABEBD.jpeg

^^^ I've always been a tea drinker. Even my folks are, and even my granddad before them.

America, when you say tea, usually it's taken to mean iced tea (either heavily sweetened or not), but tea to me is always hot tea, and I drink it every day and every night.

Always black teas, either breakfast tea, earl grey, or some variation of a Christmas tea.

I don't know why the sugar bowl is out, since I don't put sugar in my tea, unless it's Christmas tea.

Also, that teapot didn't come with the rest of that, though they're both blue willow patterns. The teapot was my grandmother's, god knows where she got it, though it's a Sadler pot from England. My understanding is that Sadler made a lot of average-quality china for export.

The other items are Churchill china, which (I think) was also made by Sadler for the international market. Those came from my uncle on a different side of the family.

The kettle is a ceramic one from Aldi. Most kettles here are either plastic (looks cheap) or glass (looks ultra-modern) and I wanted something...different, so when I saw that one, I grabbed it. On clearance for $18US!

When I'm back in my office at work, I'll take a picture of my tea setup there. At work, it's all coffee coffee coffee all day long for everyone, but I'm the office weirdo with the fussy tea ritual. :o_o:

^^^ Most of the Christmas tea I get, I order from the UK!

It's just spiced tea, flavored with things like orange peel, maybe cranberry, allspice, nutmeg, etc. The usual "Christmas" spices.

I get it from Twinings, Taylor's Of Harrogate, Tiptree (along with Christmas jam), and one year, I got these nice teacups in a gift box with Christmas biscuits and Christmas tea, from Harrod's.
006ED2ED-2999-4A8D-AE88-A4344A9E580B.jpeg

^^^ Most of the Christmas tea I get, I order from the UK!

It's just spiced tea, flavored with things like orange peel, maybe cranberry, allspice, nutmeg, etc. The usual "Christmas" spices.

I get it from Twinings, Taylor's Of Harrogate, Tiptree (along with Christmas jam), and one year, I got these nice teacups in a gift box with Christmas biscuits and Christmas tea, from Harrod's.
View attachment 29901

Shows how much I know! Unless that is its made for an overseas market...

^^^ British tea is so expensive here. I'm fortunate to live less than an hour from a massive international market (big enough that it's a tourist destination in its own right) and I can get a lot of my tea there, but it's costly.

Whenever we come back from the UK, I have an entire tote full of just regular ol' PG Tips because it's so cheap to get there.

Many years ago, my wife worked for a company that included a 90% discount on FedEx shipments. That year, we went to London just before we left, we filled two boxes, each roughly the size of a washing machine, with tea, biscuits, crisps, HP sauce, candies, chocolate bars, Ambrosia, Branston pickle, Sarsen's and all kinds of stuff, and FedEx'd it back for next to nothing.

We had curly-wurlies for months after that!

^^^ I can actually get PG Tips at our local regular grocery store (Kroger), but it's a very small box and that wouldn't last me more than a few days.

Kroger also carries Twinings K-cups (we also have a Keurig, which I use to mainly squirt hot water into a cup with a tea bag in it), but only in English Breakfast tea, which is fine, but it's crazy expensive for 12 cups of tea, something like $10US.

I can order Twinings K-cups online, but that's even more expensive, plus shipping charges, but they have a great selection.

However...we have a bargain outlet in town that buys overstock and resells it (that's where I got the cookbooks I posted about in the other topic), and I can frequently find Twinings K-cups and bags in varieties like Winter Spice or Vanilla Chai, and yesterday, I got 18 K-cups in Twinings "Premium Black Tea" for...$4. Sold!

Its good to know that some Americans drink tea! I choose it over coffee any day. Is that an electric kettle on the right? I've never seen one like that. Its certainly a design clash with the traditional blue china! :)

I love southern sweet tea with lemon and ice cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom