What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that looks like bird damage. Those greedy bastages won't eat a whole piece of fruit, they have to peck holes in twenty pieces of fruit.

CD
I been fighting birds on my berries, mesh is working .
I feed bread as well to supplement them. We have a love hate thing going on.

Russ

I been fighting birds on my berries, mesh is working .
I feed bread as well to supplement them. We have a love hate thing going on.

Russ

At my old house, I had a tomato garden and a peach tree. I had to cover both with bird netting. It was a PITA for harvesting, but it was the only way I would get any fruit.

CD

My pear tree... It has 2 varieties of pears. There are 2 much bigger trees (pears) that are 3 times larger than this one, each and they have been stripped bare of fruit already but the greedy birds.

Every evening we have to check the netting for trapped birds. There is a tiny, tiny bird that can get under the netting at grass level (despite it being well pegged down). We now keep the fish net inside the netting on the far side so we can catch and release any trapped birds.

Elsewhere in the garden

The raspberry canes are so confused by the seasons that they are going for a second flowering. These are a variety that flowers on last year's canes. These flowers are on this year's canes after 1 harvest already.

I'm watering the grapes every evening to help them grow, lol. Fat chance.

The olives and the grapes will be under netting soon as well.

The amaryllis are really doing well this year with over 175 flower spikes alone and I've yet to see life from the 2 largest clumps of bulbs. I remember back in the 80's buying my Grannie a single bulb each Christmas. They only every flowered the once. Each bulb was £10. I have no idea how many bulbs there are in this garden but I know it is 3 or 4 time more than have flowered!

Now every chook owner will tell you that your 4x4 isn't for you... It's for the chooks to hide under from the sun!

The girl on the right in red (if I've got the right photo) is my flock leader. She's 8-9 years old and very definitely has old ladies legs (there's nothing wrong with them other than they are fat from swelling, probably old age and a sign get heart is giving up slowly but she's an old girl more, a rescue from a breeder.
The girl in lavender is one of 3 lavender sussexes I have. I have had to resort to cable ties on their legs to tell them apart (No they are not tight, it's an optical illusion. The toes are actually very loose on their legs.) And yes, they are big... Rock, (2 black cable ties) is 4¼kg. My largest girl, Pebbles, is 4½kg and on a self imposed starvation diet (aka, she's broody and sitting on eggs).

Still picking and freezing berries, butter beans, chillies, tomatoes and herbs.
Veges are expensive here atm. A garden is a good investment.
Wifes hinting about needing more room. I.e, a place in the country ??

I'm slowly coming around???

Russ

This from our garden earlier

Russ

Berries slowing down, raspberries are done I think. Strawberries still picking daily. Pumpkin ready to pick today along with a cucumber we spotted yesterday. Chillies for Africa atm.

Russ

Another sunny day, with any luck I can mow the back lawn this afternoon, just give it a bit more time in the sun to warm up, will have to check for kitty poo first :mad:

My garden is still under two feet of snow and seed sewing is about 2.5-3 months away. I have got a few herbs started. Just to keep me amused. I've started some in an Aerogarden gf gave me a few years ago, then transplant them,..these were just transplanted an hour ago

Last edited:
My garden is still under two feet of snow and seed sewing is about 2.5-3 months away. I have got a few herbs started. Just to get me started. I've started some in an Aerogarden gf gave me a few years ago, then transplant them,..these were just transplanted an hour agoView attachment 81623
Basil looks healthy. We have it growing like never before. I must make some dip.

Russ

Berries slowing down, raspberries are done I think
My raspberries have flowered for a second time on what should be next season's shoots. They are now developing into berries.

My strawberries are definitely have a second wave. Useful because they now think they have had a full season in the ground. I only planted them in November after my hip op!

My pear tree is totally confused. It is heavily laden with fruit. The comice pears are ripening and the wind fall are being dehydrated. The conference pears (same tree, it's dual graft) are some way off ripening, but the odd thing use the new growth on the tree with the comice pears that also have buds and flowers! They won't get pollinated because the netting around the tree prevents easy access for the bees. The netting is only on when the native birds are plundering the unripe fruit!

I'm also digging up potatoes that are trying to grow because the seasons are so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom