What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My raspberries have flowered for a second time on what should be next season's shoots. They are now developing into berries.

My strawberries are definitely have a second wave. Useful because they now think they have had a full season in the ground. I only planted them in November after my hip op!

My pear tree is totally confused. It is heavily laden with fruit. The comice pears are ripening and the wind fall are being dehydrated. The conference pears (same tree, it's dual graft) are some way off ripening, but the odd thing use the new growth on the tree with the comice pears that also have buds and flowers! They won't get pollinated because the netting around the tree prevents easy access for the bees. The netting is only on when the native birds are plundering the unripe fruit!

View attachment 81639
I'm also digging up potatoes that are trying to grow because the seasons are so confused
We had coldest February in years.

Russ

SatNavSaysStraightOn you get the flooding I saw on the news.its pretty bad. Worst I've seen.

Russ

Anyone that doesn't know 8 ft rivers flowing through towns.
No, thankfully for us that's Queensland and north NSW. We're south NSW though we're due that weather over the next few days but I think it won't be anywhere near as bad. Parts of Queensland have had 80% of their annual rainfall inside 76hrs (3 days). But the figures given in places (400mm in 3 hrs) were what we see in an hour on boxing day here, so it's not a case of it can't happen. But I will only get stranded by flood water or draining water flooding through the home (in through 1 door and out through the other) because I live at the top of a mountain (860m above sea level). There's only 60-75m of mountain higher than our home.

Sadly I fear there will be many more deaths found as the water recedes. Many people ended up trapped in their homes, just climbing higher and higher as needed until only their roof space was left. The inevitable has happened in some places. The water rise so quickly during the night that it caught most people in bed. The roads literally became rivers 3 meters deep in many places.

Spoke too soon. The rain has arrived and even though we've only had a small amount, the dirt road we live on is already a nightmare to drive. I had to go out at 2pm and did not like the state of the road. Plus the flood plain, where the road dips down to allow the water to cross from one side to the other, both dips already had 20-30cm deep water in them. So I suspect given that the rain event hasn't officially started there yet, that come tomorrow, that road will be closed again. And that usually means the other 2 routes out will also get closed. They all drain in different directions from our house, so the rain from 2 sides drains inland causing a lot of flooding. The way we go out, the rain drains into the lake. The lake has no outlet, so it can only flood the floodplain we need to cross to get out...

Chooks are not happy because of the fox attack 2 days ago they are in their enclosure (something like 22.5m by 10m, so 225m² for 15 chooks not counting the wet weather area and their actual coop which can house 50 or more chooks plus 10 or more nesting boxes, food & water...) so they are not short of space, just not accustomed to being unable to roam freely and they love wet weather for free ranging because all the worms and bugs in general come to the surface as well as ripe fruit from the pear tree that has bruised badly coming their way....

And I can't now put the 6 chicks outside for fresh air and exercise because they are too young to go without warmth and have no idea what rain actually is yet! They've not yet got feathers, even the oldest doesn't yet have a full set of feathers so they're not waterproof yet... so they are running riot in the house, laying little spots of hot, wet, squidgy "landmines". If you stand on one in bare feet or in socks only you'll soon understand why they are called landmines in this house...

And the little darlings now want company all if the time so when I'm out or in the shower or just not available and I haven't left the radio or TV on, they can hear my hubby talking whilst at work in the house and now visit him. Only his office is carpet... it's a great way of terminating phone calls or video calls and giving his colleagues endless amusement! Plus the little blighters won't sleep unless we leave a light on in the sitting room. Talk about odd behavior... one just squeals constantly until you put the light back on and then stops instantly. Turn it off itself it starts up again. It's going to be in for a big surprise when they are moved outside to sleep!

We have today been offered ฿10,000.00 (c. US$300.00) for this tree. The buyers will dig it up, destroy and repair the wall and fence and leave it as it was (ha ha) and me without shade. Apparently it is quite rare and they could probably sell it for ฿30,000.00.

They're not having it!

We have today been offered ฿10,000.00 (c. US$300.00) for this tree. The buyers will dig it up, destroy and repair the wall and fence and leave it as it was (ha ha) and me without shade. Apparently it is quite rare and they could probably sell it for ฿30,000.00.

They're not having it!

What type of tree is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom