What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't climbed a ladder in twenty odd years (except a step ladder in the house - and that's rare).

We have a tree trimmer on the end of a long pole which should assist in cutting the high fruits/leaves. Although I cannot imagine ever having a need for that many.

It's a big ole tree......... (the wall is 1.60m high)

You won't need many leaves at a time - just snip them off as needed. Honestly, if you have never used them before you will be surprised how perfumed they are.

Hubby has finally given in and bought me a new lawnmower. (Yes, I could use sheep, but I can't stop then eating everything else as well as the grass, and sheep eat anything they can get hold of just like goats! ).

I've now got a battery operated lawnmower. It takes 2 batteries, though comes with only 1, but we have a slightly less powerful version that is in the compatible list that came with the chainsaw, so plan to use that at first.

I have it a test run today. Bliss... it starts, I can actually start it without a workout all by itself. It is also self propelled, though you can push if you want to which is easier in the intricate areas.... So I haven't got to fight to push the thing uphill... So much easier.

1 battery only did about ⅕-¼ of the lawn though! Oh well. The whole concept of battery operated stuff is to pace me to prevent me over doing it in the garden, have the battery operated chainsaw and battery operated strimmer. Lol.

I have a battery operated mower, and wouldn't go back to gas powered. It was rather pricey, but it is a good brand. Toro e-Cycler.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.44.31 PM.jpg

CD

My lawn guy has a petrol mower. I had a flash key start 1 but my son borrowed it years ago. Never got it back so now my lawn guy does it.

Russ

I had another round at mowing the lawn. This time with 2 batteries in the mower. The 6Ah one that it comes with and our 4Ah one that is compatible. I've now managed to cut roughly half of the lawn, but about a quarter needed 3 cuts because it was best described as 'needed cutting'.

I've still got to get the hang of letting go of the 'forward' button when I'm maneuvering and pulling the mower backwards though. Lol

If it doesn't rain before the evening, I'll try to get another round in. Once I have the lawn at a sensible length, it should only take 2 rounds to get it cut. But I have a feeling that my definition of a large lawn and that of the manufacturer might just vary a tad! You're meant to be able to cut a large lawn in a single battery charge... somehow I think it will be 2 batteries in 2 charges to get ours done and there might still be a section or two that still needs doing.

Really we need a ride on, but finances don't permit... they are upwards of $4,000 or more just for the cheap ones and finances are needed elsewhere at the moment.

I had another round at mowing the lawn. This time with 2 batteries in the mower.
Not quite the same, but I can commiserate - we have a rechargeable vacuum that I quite like. The only problem is, it runs for 20 minutes on a charge and then takes five hours to charge back up!

My gardener comes tomorrow. There is only weeding to do, as the lawn (like everyone else's down here in Kent) is now a dried brown affair due to the drought. He came a month ago and the situation was the same. Normally it would need mowing every 2 to 3 weeks in summer. I've never known this to happen before - in this garden or any previous gardens I've had.

It is said that the grass will grow back eventually...

My gardener comes tomorrow. There is only weeding to do, as the lawn (like everyone else's down here in Kent) is now a dried brown affair due to the drought. He came a month ago and the situation was the same. Normally it would need mowing every 2 to 3 weeks in summer. I've never known this to happen before - in this garden or any previous gardens I've had.

It is said that the grass will grow back eventually...
Yip it will. My lawn is monthly atm. Now its spring it should increase to fortnightly.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom