What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to live in north Wales till I got ill with cancer, so we moved here. I miss my Garden oh I thank to the NHS I have been clear for nearly 4 yrs.
1593093940733.png
1593094009568.png

What sort of plants? Would love to see a photo.

The tree is a Cedar Elm, the taller bushes in the back are Dwarf Burfurd Hollies, the rounded bushes are Dwarf Yaupon Hollies, the tall spindly bush is a Nandina (leaves turn red in winter, but don't fall off), the small fountain like variegated plants are Liriope. I don't recall the exact time, but the ground cover is some kind of Juniper. The maroon bush was given to me by a neighbor who dug it up to throw away. I have no idea what it is.

IMG_1066.JPG

Oh, the plants in the upstairs planter box are fake.

CD (edit) Ha, if you look closely, you can see psycho-poodle's head in the big window downstairs

Last edited:
When we lived in Minnesota, our back yard butted up against a proper pond, large enough that you couldn't throw a rock across. We owned up to the pond, but the pond was part of a public green space (walking trails, meadow, woods). It was really nice.

Interesting. When we briefly lived in Cincinnati, we had a pond/lake in the backyard. It had lots of ducks, and some junk-fish like Sunfish. But, the best part, for us kids, was ice skating in the winter. The ice was good for skating for about a month, maybe a little more.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 5.29.33 PM.png

CD

Interesting. When we briefly lived in Cincinnati, we had a pond/lake in the backyard. It had lots of ducks, and some junk-fish like Sunfish. But, the best part, for us kids, was ice skating in the winter. The ice was good for skating for about a month, maybe a little more.

View attachment 42450

CD
Global warming has been preventing a lot of lakes and ponds in OH from freezing over the past several years, depending on their depth. I live pretty close to several lakes up here in NE Ohio, and when I first moved here they would freeze in January and February solid enough for people to ride quads on. Then about 5 years ago they were barely freezing over, and there were people falling through the ice, some of them while just ice fishing. The past two years the lakes haven't frozen more than a couple of inches, and never for more than a week, definitely not even enough thickness for someone to walk across much less skate.

We had broccoli from winter crops in the garden last night. In Thai curry. Other crops still going good. Wife bought 2 mini greenhouses for my propagating. I will start this in a month. I miss summer.

Russ

Last year my husband found an interesting caterpillar on our tomato plants and later a moth that we believe were the same species:

We get Monarchs in the US, too. They are gorgeous. I think they love Eucalyptus trees. We also get a similar looking butterfly, the Viceroy.

The tree is a Cedar Elm, the taller bushes in the back are Dwarf Burfurd Hollies, the rounded bushes are Dwarf Yaupon Hollies, the tall spindly bush is a Nandina (leaves turn red in winter, but don't fall off), the small fountain like variegated plants are Liriope. I don't recall the exact time, but the ground cover is some kind of Juniper. The maroon bush was given to me by a neighbor who dug it up to throw away. I have no idea what it is.

View attachment 42449

Oh, the plants in the upstairs planter box are fake.

CD (edit) Ha, if you look closely, you can see psycho-poodle's head in the big window downstairs

That garden looks very smart. Juniper? Juniper is a tree so not sure that the ground cover can be that. Maybe there is another plant called juniper I don't know of...

Edit: Juniper can be quite a low lying shrub. Now the question is, does your juniper produce berries? Great for cooking...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom