What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 3 - Four fellas and one lady today. And one of the fellas had boots on (instead of flip-flops or barefoot)!

Boots s.jpg

Today's spoils.

Logs 2 s.jpg

Logs 3 s.jpg

I did some weeding in the veg plot over the last couple of days. I've still to sort the strawberry plants out and remove about two thirds of them.

20230826_140551.jpg
20230826_140558.jpg
20230826_140600.jpg
20230826_140613.jpg
20230826_140617.jpg

This was just the first stage of weeding. I now need to remove the thin but strong roots of some of the weeds and hoe the rest.

I've also transplanted a barberry bush, a blueberry bush, and a green cardamom plant since I took the photos. Herbs and spices, plus potatoes and tomatoes are not grown in this netted area.

So the herbs and bigger bushes are scattered around the garden

The lemon tree
20230827_083310.jpg

The winter savory, the rosemary, some thyme, some chives, you can't see the saffron crocuses but there are 9 in there and some of the fennel,

20230827_083246.jpg

To the left of the fushia, is a much bigger patch thyme (2 or 3 types) plus more winter savoury.
20230827_083255.jpg

And the mint has had a good winter.
20230827_083327.jpg

Against the fence are 3 passionfruit vines (one is new hence not being visible I only planted it yesterday).
20230827_083340.jpg

I've got Swiss chard growing elsewhere which I also didn't photo.

Finally the transplanted saffron crocuses, a transplanted thyme and an established oregano that is surprisingly hardy.
20230827_084646.jpg

I dug up a few New Zealand Yams as they are known in NZ and Australia (oca to the rest of the world)... I've got about 3 times this many left in the veg plot!

20230827_090018.jpg

And whilst searching for recipes on how to use them (you can eat them raw as well as cook them pretty much any way you want to) cane across this recipe for them involving lentils!
https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/oca-spinach-lentils

Last edited:
I dug up a few New Zealand Yams as they are known in NZ and Australia (oca to the rest of the world)... I've got about 3 times this many left in the veg plot!

View attachment 104236

And whilst searching for recipes on how to use them (you can eat them raw as well as cook them pretty much any way you want to) cane across this recipe for them involving lentils!
https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/oca-spinach-lentils

A new vegetable to me. Most Riverford recipes are rather good in my opinion. I must assume that Riverford sell them sometimes though.

A new vegetable to me. Most Riverford recipes are rather good in my opinion. I must assume that Riverford sell them sometimes though.
They are exceptionally ready to grow. Easier than potatoes and quite happy. They do need a marginally longer growing period than tatties though. I started with 5 tubers about 3-4 years ago. I've no shortage of them. Lol

Is that a bee?
Or is it, HALF a bee?
Half a bee

It looks a bit like a wood bee. We had them all over in Port Arthur. We used to joke about the name, "I wonder what it would bee if it could be something else?"

BTW, my sister is deathly afraid of bees of any kind. She would run from the wood bees no matter how many times we told her that wood bees don't sting.

1693343115510.png

CD

Last edited:
BTW, my sister is deathly afraid of bees of any kind. She would run from the wood bees no matter how many times we told her that wood bees don't sting
My sister is the same, but she did get stung on the eyelid by a bee as a child and hasn't forgotten it. She panics if anything buzzes passed her, flies included. :(

I'm the kid that cried when I trod on a bumble bee on my Grannie's lawn because the bee would now die, not because my foot hurt.

I’m planting pollinator gardens, since so many of our native bees are in decline. I get really excited/happy when I see bees in the yard!

Got tons of tomatoes ripening right now, so many I don’t know what to do with them all. Here’s a small sample of what was on the plants yesterday.
A9F9EF69-C47E-4272-9021-E9AE6B27B4EE.jpeg

I also have some flower buds on my moonflower vine (it blooms at night and is incredibly fragrant). It seems to like the spot where I put it, it’s overgrown the trellis and is now busy trying to escape to the neighbour’s yard.
BF92EABD-175E-415A-A2EC-8C762E5FBBA0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom