What's the best way to strain oil after deep frying?

NailBat

Local time
10:12 AM
Website
pantrymo.com
How does everyone strain their oil after deep frying? The way I'm doing it takes forever, so I'm sure there's a better way.

After the oil has cooled, I strain it into jars using a funnel, a fine mesh strainer, and a coffee filter. The coffee filter does a fantastic job of straining out everything (better than cheesecloth I find), but it's also extremely slow and takes a lot of work. So how do you do it?

Wow - you´re very meticulous!!
I usually use a tea strainer :eek: if I´m feeling lazy, but if I want all the particles out, I use a coffee strainer.Coffee strainer
I also use this for homemade ghee and it effectively removes all the bits of burnt protein, etc.

First, oil should not be put down the sink, because it can lend itself to blockage in the drain.

Oil should be bottled when no longer needed, or stored for further use. You are asking how to strain out the crumbs and stuff, as you bottle up the oil for re-use. You would not care, if you intended to discard the oil. You should always smell the oil and decide whether it is worth saving.

My technique is to let the oil cool over night and allow the crumbs to settle. Then I pour off the top oil which does not need to be strained. A small hand strainer that can be held over a funnel inserted into the bottle neck is the best strategy.

full.jpg

The small one on the right in this photo, is the one I use for the purpose. Coffee and tea strainers won't fit into that, but you can cut a piece off one and settle it in the strainer, before starting. Personally, I think going to coffee strainers slows things down and I would not go that route. I usually just strain the remaining bottom oil off into a taller container, let it sit again, till the debris settles and then pour off the top oil again, perhaps repeating this process a couple times, finally discarding the remaining dirty oil in a throw-away container that can be tightly sealed. Going after the top oil in successive passes does not put you in the position of waiting on a coffee filter to strain a little bit of oil that will fit in the strainer while you holding the strainer and getting tired of doing so. Going after the top oil does have delays to wait for successive passes to settle out in taller containers, like tall narrow jars, but those delays are not great, if you take care.

Going after top oil is best in my book. I do strain the oil in any case as I pour the top oil off into the storage container.

I just use a fine mesh stainer. The coffee filter thing is too slow, and I really don't think it is necessary.

CD

We use this, capacity 2 litres. After straining, the oil may be left in the jug but my wife usually bottles it.

I use this funnel with a screen in it..I got it in the automobile department at our local Canadian Tire..I tossed the long hose 'cus I don't need it..I strain into an empty canola oil jug and keep it in the freezer..it is clear plastic, basically food grade...I let the oil cool first..it can get a bit clogged after a while but I swirl a butter knife lightly against the screen and it helps..It comes apart for cleaning, dishwasher safe...it works great..

First, oil should not be put down the sink, because it can lend itself to blockage in the drain.

Oil should be bottled when no longer needed, or stored for further use. You are asking how to strain out the crumbs and stuff, as you bottle up the oil for re-use. You would not care, if you intended to discard the oil. You should always smell the oil and decide whether it is worth saving.

My technique is to let the oil cool over night and allow the crumbs to settle. Then I pour off the top oil which does not need to be strained. A small hand strainer that can be held over a funnel inserted into the bottle neck is the best strategy.

View attachment 71527

The small one on the right in this photo, is the one I use for the purpose. Coffee and tea strainers won't fit into that, but you can cut a piece off one and settle it in the strainer, before starting. Personally, I think going to coffee strainers slows things down and I would not go that route. I usually just strain the remaining bottom oil off into a taller container, let it sit again, till the debris settles and then pour off the top oil again, perhaps repeating this process a couple times, finally discarding the remaining dirty oil in a throw-away container that can be tightly sealed. Going after the top oil in successive passes does not put you in the position of waiting on a coffee filter to strain a little bit of oil that will fit in the strainer while you holding the strainer and getting tired of doing so. Going after the top oil does have delays to wait for successive passes to settle out in taller containers, like tall narrow jars, but those delays are not great, if you take care.

Going after top oil is best in my book. I do strain the oil in any case as I pour the top oil off into the storage container.

I have had the strainers, but no funnels. Now I have funnels.

View attachment 72637
Love that set, especially the orange one!!

View attachment 71527

I have the sieve set, plus THIS one above! To make it better, use some cheese cloth. That helps get even the little bits left in the grease from deep frying. Really works good!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom