What's the biggest cooking holiday in your country?

I am from the UK and I would definitely agree that it is Christmas. People in the UK prepare for weeks in advance, cooking for the big event. It is not just the actual day either. People cook for work and family get togethers at this time of the year and people tend to always have homemade goodies prepared for visitors when they wouldn't normally bother at other times of the year.

I would definitely be a toss up between Christmas and Thanksgiving. Both holidays are surrounded my a variety of foods. There is always so much good food around then.

Christmas in Australia is the biggest cooking holiday. The whole family gets together and a big spread of food from pork roast and ham, roasted vegetables and potatoes with apple sauce and the traditional Christmas pudding. I don't have a family in Australia and I get always invited. It sounds terrible, but I decline most of the time due to the fact that they all overeat. I generally take my detector and go out in the goldfields to find the elusive Christmas gold nugget. That is for me the best Christmas.

Christmas in Australia is the biggest cooking holiday. The whole family gets together and a big spread of food from pork roast and ham, roasted vegetables and potatoes with apple sauce and the traditional Christmas pudding. I don't have a family in Australia and I get always invited. It sounds terrible, but I decline most of the time due to the fact that they all overeat. I generally take my detector and go out in the goldfields to find the elusive Christmas gold nugget. That is for me the best Christmas.
Fascinating. You go metal detecting on Christmas day? I'd be happy to join you. I hate the overeating thing too. My ideal Christmas meal would probably be caviar, seafood and a good white wine.

If I never had to work and the weather was warm I would be outside ,on a ride or a bbq ,I would do my own thing as well ,I'm not religious ,I would just take advantage of the time

Christmas is really the only cooking holiday in NZ. On an average Christmas Day we go to breakfast at my Aunt's (bacon, eggs, ham, pancakes, croissants etc), then have a light lunch at home (cheese and crackers type of thing), and finish with a massive dinner at my Aunt on the other side of the family's house.They go all out with turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and other roasted vegetables, three or four desserts, etc.
Now if only I could convince them to cook something I can actually eat :( I've skipped the last couple of years because sitting there unable to eat any of it while they all complain about me being ungrateful is not how I like to spend my Christmas.

I think it's New Year. Because people in our country believes that we have to welcome the coming year with lot's of food on the table so that we will have a prosperous year through out. Round fruits are staples in our table, and sticky desserts. Because we believe that round fruits are lucky and sticky desserts makes our family stick together. And I really look forward to New Years day because that's when our family gets together after all those busy days.

Christmas takes the cake in my country. It is the time people feast on just about anything with special treats being chicken and turkey. Families and friends visit each other often so everyone ends up eating a lot somewhere. It is boom time for hotels too as many take holiday from work at this time too!

In my mother country where I grew up the biggest food holiday is also the Christmas and New Year Day. People from all walks of life are really preparing different varieties of festive foods for the holiday season. And they make it sure that the special day is celebrated with joy and happiness among their families, relatives and friends.

Fascinating. You go metal detecting on Christmas day? I'd be happy to join you. I hate the overeating thing too. My ideal Christmas meal would probably be caviar, seafood and a good white wine.
Seafood and caviar, yummy. Sounds good to. However, been in the Australian bush chasing gold is great because everybody else is busy doing the Christmas drill. I be happy if you want to join me when ever you are in our neck of the woods for a metal detecting session.

Seafood and caviar, yummy. Sounds good to. However, been in the Australian bush chasing gold is great because everybody else is busy doing the Christmas drill. I be happy if you want to join me when ever you are in our neck of the woods for a metal detecting session.
Ha ha. It would cost me a few thousand quid to get there! We'd have to detect an awful lot of metal to cover costs!

Being a good pagan, Christmas Day involves a stroll along the coast and a bit of birdwatching. There's nobody around, apart from the very occasional dog-walker and the odd (very odd) obsessive jogger.

Christmas! :D Although Halloween is pretty big as well, and bonfire night. Always recipes in shop magazines for these celebrations, toffee apples, cinder toffee, halloween cookies, etc. But Christmas is the biggest one what with Xmas dinner, Xmas cake, cookies, stollen, etc. so much great cooking at that time of year! :D

Well, I'm from the USA and that purely means Thanksgiving for us. When Christmas times rolls around we just have quick stuff to eat and don't bother with all the cooking. At Thanksgiving we have pies, cakes, cookies, varieties of meats and veggies. Just a slew of stuff to eat that last us for a few days to weeks.

Back
Top Bottom