What's the scariest thing in your kitchen?

Mandolins are evil. :mad:

I had one for one day. Cut a fingertip off the first time I used it. The bleeding wouldn't stop, so I had to have it cauterized -- no novocaine.

I went home after the doctor's office, smashed the mandolin with a sledge hammer, and threw it away.

Now, it is probably the food processor blade. Make sure you can see it at all times (don't let it get mixed in with other dirty dishes and utensils). Just brushing up against it will cost a nasty cut.

CD

Mandolins are evil. :mad:

I had one for one day. Cut a fingertip off the first time I used it. The bleeding wouldn't stop, so I had to have it cauterized -- no novocaine.

I went home after the doctor's office, smashed the mandolin with a sledge hammer, and threw it away.

Now, it is probably the food processor blade. Make sure you can see it at all times (don't let it get mixed in with other dirty dishes and utensils). Just brushing up against it will cost a nasty cut.

CD
When I first got my mandolin I tried to quick slice veggies while talking to G. I sliced the tips off of not one but three fingers. The index finger was the worst. Sliced the tip of the finger and the nail. After bleeding all through the house to get to the bathroom where I had bandages G found a 1/4" slice of my index finger on the cutting board. I lived with heavily bandaged fingers for 2 weeks and months of very tender finger tips.
I still use my mandolin - with deep respect and the guide.
A reminder to us all. As passionate cooks we all work with dangerous items - knives, mandolins, heavy tools, extreme heat, boiling water.
To all newbies - respect your tools. Pay close attention. Your kitchen is not a place for distractions.

To all newbies - respect your tools. Pay close attention. Your kitchen is not a place for distractions.
...and keep a box of band-aids in the kitchen! :)

My first mandolin was an amputation waiting to happen. It was a gift by a well-meaning, cooking-ignorant family member, and she just bought a celebrity chef-branded one, and I could see no way in which to use it safely, and it was so bad, I didn't want to re-gift it.

I kept it for a while until I noticed in an online scan of other mandolins that this one had been recalled/discontinued for safety reasons. I ended up throwing it out.

I can highly recommend the one I have now...if I could remember the name. It's a German one, not expensive, starts with a "B" and they have the most wonderfully kitschy 40 minute video on YT somewhere. I don't use it much, but when I do use it, I'm glad I have it.

A reminder to us all. As passionate cooks we all work with dangerous items - knives, mandolins, heavy tools, extreme heat, boiling water.
Ciao Bella,
This so true, kitchen is no playground is most dangerous place in house, An never leave thing cooking if not watching it.

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom