What's Your Favourite Herb?

I don't seem to have chipped in here yet...

Basil. I currently have five jars of pesto in my fridge, thanks to special offers. I hate to be without it.

I like to have fresh herbs on the kitchen windowsill but they don't seem too happy in the full sun. We pick the leaves to encourage growth but they grow tall and gangly, not sure what is wrong, any ideas?

I like to have fresh herbs on the kitchen windowsill but they don't seem too happy in the full sun. We pick the leaves to encourage growth but they grow tall and gangly, not sure what is wrong, any ideas?
hard to be certain without seeing pictures of symptoms on a per herb basis but it could range from wrong soil, or not enough nutrients in the soil (typical with supermarket bought herbs, they only want them to last a few days else you won't buy more), to not enough of the correct light - inside the kitchen windowsill may not have all of the components in the light available to the plant due to (for example) double glazing which filters out certain aspects of light waves. But I would settle for the most common issues - not enough nutrients & usually not enough light, followed by erratic watering (from a plant's point of view - they usually follow a too dry, too wet cycle in our household).

If however you are buying them from a garden centre and see these issues, then if they are inside it will most likely be a light issue.

If I want thyme, I buy a pot for £5 from a garden centre and use that, kept by the front door. I would not purchase the stuff from a supermarket because they are deliberately grown for a very short life span and have few nutrients available to them for continued growth and are genetically engineered not to produce enough roots etc. For things like basil, I have to confess to buying the frozen fresh basil in Waitrose now, unless I know I need a lot and it will be used within a day of purchasing it. fresh coriander is the same, parsley I just randomly through seeds down in the borders and it is kinda hard to kill it. Oregano & marjoram grow quite happily in the UK as well (my last place had a plot that was taken over by them which was at least 3m long by 2 m wide - they like well drained sandy soil and full sun).

hard to be certain without seeing pictures of symptoms on a per herb basis but it could range from wrong soil, or not enough nutrients in the soil (typical with supermarket bought herbs, they only want them to last a few days else you won't buy more), to not enough of the correct light - inside the kitchen windowsill may not have all of the components in the light available to the plant due to (for example) double glazing which filters out certain aspects of light waves. But I would settle for the most common issues - not enough nutrients & usually not enough light, followed by erratic watering (from a plant's point of view - they usually follow a too dry, too wet cycle in our household).

If however you are buying them from a garden centre and see these issues, then if they are inside it will most likely be a light issue.

If I want thyme, I buy a pot for £5 from a garden centre and use that, kept by the front door. I would not purchase the stuff from a supermarket because they are deliberately grown for a very short life span and have few nutrients available to them for continued growth and are genetically engineered not to produce enough roots etc. For things like basil, I have to confess to buying the frozen fresh basil in Waitrose now, unless I know I need a lot and it will be used within a day of purchasing it. fresh coriander is the same, parsley I just randomly through seeds down in the borders and it is kinda hard to kill it. Oregano & marjoram grow quite happily in the UK as well (my last place had a plot that was taken over by them which was at least 3m long by 2 m wide - they like well drained sandy soil and full sun).

We buy from the supermarket so your ides sounds about right as does the wet dry cycle. We don't buy very often so don't invest, maybe we should.

We buy from the supermarket so your ides sounds about right as does the wet dry cycle. We don't buy very often so don't invest, maybe we should.
either that, or have a look in the freezer section. the fresh frozen herbs options have come on considerably over the years and come ready chopped. I use them for parsley, coriander and basil when I only need a tablespoon or so of each for a recipe. anything more and I will buy fresh and use straight away. your other option is to make the frozen ones yourself. chop the herbs up the day you buy them, add water and pour into ice cube trays and freeze straight way. try to work it that 1 tbsp. is 1 ice cube or similar so you know how many cubes you need for your meal. a little extra water won't hurt your meal (unless it is pizza) and soon vanishes leaving the fresh herb.

either that, or have a look in the freezer section. the fresh frozen herbs options have come on considerably over the years and come ready chopped. I use them for parsley, coriander and basil when I only need a tablespoon or so of each for a recipe. anything more and I will buy fresh and use straight away. your other option is to make the frozen ones yourself. chop the herbs up the day you buy them, add water and pour into ice cube trays and freeze straight way. try to work it that 1 tbsp. is 1 ice cube or similar so you know how many cubes you need for your meal. a little extra water won't hurt your meal (unless it is pizza) and soon vanishes leaving the fresh herb.

When we get back from our holiday I will definitely give it some thought. We do like mint or coriander with summer salads, if we get a summer this year, my gardening skills are a bit hit and miss.

When we get back from our holiday I will definitely give it some thought. We do like mint or coriander with summer salads, if we get a summer this year, my gardening skills are a bit hit and miss.
I've not met many people who can successfully kill mint unless it has been purchased from a supermarket and even that is a challenge. Coriander is much easier to kill, even for me (I used to grow most of my own veg & herbs). Try mint but unless you want a garden solely of mint, I would recommend that you ensure it is in a larger container, not the ground. Thyme is another really easy one to grow (loves hot sunny places in sandy soil). Buy one of the bigger pots from a garden centre - the sort that is around £5 not the £1.99 size and is clearly established. Neither mint nor thyme really require a summer - which could be helpful!

Back
Top Bottom