What's your favourite (non-electric) kitchen gadget/tool?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:42 PM
Not counting a good sharp knife! My favourite little tool is a julienne cutter. Ultra simple to use, ultra cheap to buy. It produces pretty chef like julienne strips in seconds... This one costs just £3.50 (about 5 US dollars), from Lakeland.

15806_1.jpeg

Here is what you can do with this little gem:

Zucchini_2-2.jpg

Hmmmmm non-electric....challenging! Most of my gadgets are electric now - even my salt and pepper mills are are battery operated (so good when one hand is greasy/floury!).

I guess it would have to be the plastic spatula which came with my Magimix - its just the right size and has the perfect balance of flexibility and stiffness to scrape a pot/dish and get virtually everything out. I've now got 3 of them and I use them daily for pretty much everything. The only downside is that they won't take high temperatures so if I'm using it for something on the hob I have to remember not to leave it in the pot so it doesn't melt, and if I'm doing something needing a high heat (like a stir fry) then I use my wooden spatula instead.

They're also perfect for getting a nice smooth finish on Pollyfilla when you're doing a bit of DIY :wink:

3lb heavy duty non stick loaf tin. Turns out a beautiful loaf at least twice a week!

Not counting a decent knife, it has to be my garlic crusher... It is just fantastic and can crush ginger as well it is that strong.

4 years on and I still love it. It is super easy to use and stunningly easy to clean, plus the weight of it is great for hitting anything that needs cruising as well!

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/wmf-profi-plus-garlic-press-review.377/

Not counting a decent knife, it has to be my garlic crusher... It is just fantastic and can crush ginger as well it is that strong.

4 years on and I still love it. It is super easy to use and stunningly easy to clean, plus the weight of it is great for hitting anything that needs cruising as well!

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/wmf-profi-plus-garlic-press-review.377/
Thank you for this. I've given up using garlic crushers as they just don't seem up to the job, are fiddly to clean and certainly don't crush ginger. This is very pricey for a garlic crusher but seems as if it would last forever! I'm going to think about getting one!

Thank you for this. I've given up using garlic crushers as they just don't seem up to the job, are fiddly to clean and certainly don't crush ginger. This is very pricey for a garlic crusher but seems as if it would last forever! I'm going to think about getting one!
Let's put it this way, is going to Australia with me and I'm not being parted from it! Just make sure you get the correct one, the are 2, or where when I bought mine that are very similar and it was the more expensive of the 2 but worth it and still is!

Lovely. Never used these, does the dough transit from these straight to a baking sheet? Presumably only works with stiff dough? Agree it's a nice word, French ?
I use them when I'm making rye bread or other fairly dense breads, mostly. You can either use them for proving after rising or, (as I do with rye bread) just do one rise in the banneton. Then you simply tip onto your baking sheet. You need to flour he bannetons before putting in the dough. I think you could prove softer doughs using them, but not really 'runny' French bread type dough. Here is an example of one of my rye breads using a banneton. This is a different shape from the one's I showed above - its one I keep at my friend's house!

Yes...its a French word!

DSCF2387.jpg

Last edited:
I use them when I'm making rye bread or other fairly dense breads, mostly. You can either use them for proving after rising or, (as I do with rye bread) just do one rise in the banneton. Then you simply tip onto your baking sheet. You need to flour he bannetons before putting in the dough. I think you could prove softer doughs using them, but not really 'runny' French bread type dough. Here is an example of one of my rye breads using a banneton. This is a different shape from the one's I showed above - its one I keep at my friend's house!
Yes...its a French word!

View attachment 2433
Nice loaf. Got me thinking about breakfast tomorrow morning. I don't often take time to bake from scratch - usually just a basic mix in the dough machine, knock back, rise and bake. Maybe a good time to dig out and play with those packets of flour I've accumulated - Rye, spelt etc,.

I've got some bannetons that I'm very fond of (nice word 'banneton'!) - used for proving bread so you get the 'Artisan' grooves. Here they are:
View attachment 2430
Do you line yours with a tea towel first? I flour up a tea towel, place the unproven (sourdough) loaf in it and then when it is ready to cook, the baking tray goes on to, it's carefully turned over and the tea towel removed and the loaf left on the tray to be 'cut' open (with a fresh razor blade) immediately prior to cooking.

Do you line yours with a tea towel first? I flour up a tea towel, place the unproven (sourdough) loaf in it and then when it is ready to cook, the baking tray goes on to, it's carefully turned over and the tea towel removed and the loaf left on the tray to be 'cut' open (with a fresh razor blade) immediately prior to cooking.
No I don't line them. I would have thought that would mean the ridges would be less visible. If you flour the banneton then the dough doesn't stick at all (although it might if it were a very 'wet' dough, I suppose). The bannetons can easily be rinsed clean afterwards and dry quite quickly. Have you ever tried using the banneton without lining it?

Back
Top Bottom