What's your latest home project?

HairyHeaven

Local time
3:12 AM
I've been doing various bits of little (and some not-so-little) odd-jobs around the house (with the help of a very handy friend) during the last few Covid months. This particular project has taken a bit of time but this weekend we just blitzed it & finished it off.
I'm really pleased with this.

Before: second (unused) toilet which had been a dumping ground for all my gardening gear. The photo was taken after most of it was taken out

After: a beautiful walk-in pantry. Cleaned, de-moulded & all spiders removed. Painted, boxed out the old toilet plumbing, installed shelves, and ripped out the old floor & put in a new one. Took off the door, sanded & stained, and re-hung it so it opens outwards.

I can finally get the wine out of my office / spare-room. Mind you I had no idea I had so much, and there's still about 24 bottles still to go in - I need to buy more shelves. It also means I can move out multiple items that are in the kitchen pantry cupboard and make that much less cluttered and more usable.

What home-job (or jobs) have you done recently?

Um...er...:shy:. Does sticking some felt pads on the bottom of dining room chairs count?
That's more my speed: <upends chair, sticks on three out of four pads> "Whew! I need a drink!"

In additional to installing landscaping trim (poorly) and topping off the mulch (still not done), I'm putting up a pegboard to hold all my miscellaneous kitchen utensils.

I'm going to wallpaper it so it doesn't look so...workshoppy, so that means I'll probably get it up on the wall by the end of the year. :laugh:

Big break here guys, my projects are : carpet house top and bottom. Top half all done, rest in the new year.
Upstairs sofettes sp? Spouting barge boards window frames and set of French doors. Got a painter I know to quote. $4000. I trust the guy so gave him the go ahead. I'm too old to be climbing over scaffolds. My wife doesn't want me to fall?
I did all downstairs without accident 2 years ago. Ah well, self preservation?
All I do is fork out dosh lately!!

Russ

Hey, I still have all the materials to build a new fence to replace the rotted one that blew down. I bought the materials late in 2019, and they are still stacked in my garage.

CD

My washing machine is crapping out. My Bosch lasted 10 years until it needed work, now the GE that replaced it made it six.

I have to find a repair guy to work on it, the guy I usually call retired.

My washing machine is crapping out. My Bosch lasted 10 years until it needed work, now the GE that replaced it made it six.

I have to find a repair guy to work on it, the guy I usually call retired.

Our last was a Bosch, beautiful washer and whisper quiet. New one a Chinese p.o.c should have spent extra.

Russ

Reactions: mjd
Thanks I'll tell my wife you're the guy who's lazy, not me lol :)

Russ

Not so much lazy as unable to do the first step, which is to dig out the cement from the old wooden posts, so I can put in new steel posts. Health issues are in the way. My next door neighbor, who shares the fence with me has a 24-year-old son who works out everyday and plays tennis. Young and strong. I've asked my neighbor to see if his son would dig out the old posts -- a 30-minute, easy job for him. My neighbor won't ask him. So, I'm eventually going to have to hire some day laborers (they hang out in a parking lot looking for work) to do the work. More money.

CD

Not so much lazy as unable to do the first step, which is to dig out the cement from the old wooden posts, so I can put in new steel posts. Health issues are in the way. My next door neighbor, who shares the fence with me has a 24-year-old son who works out everyday and plays tennis. Young and strong. I've asked my neighbor to see if his son would dig out the old posts -- a 30-minute, easy job for him. My neighbor won't ask him. So, I'm eventually going to have to hire some day laborers (they hang out in a parking lot looking for work) to do the work. More money.

CD
Be careful who you choose, I saw a program on Ci about hired help,who went back to help himself after doing the work and got caught breaking in and shot the home owner.
Talking of posts my wife asked me to have a look at our side gate, the gate doesn't open. The main 6 ft post is like yours, rotted at the base. I will get my son to dig it out, obviously it wasn't tantalised so I'm guessing it's as old as the house. The other side is concrete post so no drama there. I'll get a post in the new year.

Russ

Be careful who you choose, I saw a program on Ci about hired help,who went back to help himself after doing the work and got caught breaking in and shot the home owner.
Talking of posts my wife asked me to have a look at our side gate, the gate doesn't open. The main 6 ft post is like yours, rotted at the base. I will get my son to dig it out, obviously it wasn't tantalised so I'm guessing it's as old as the house. The other side is concrete post so no drama there. I'll get a post in the new year.

Russ

We have an abundance of Mexican day laborers, many of whom are probably here illegally. They are very eager to work. If you pay them better than average, you have a friend. If you pay them well, and feed them, you have a friend for life.

In Frisco, they hang out in front of a convenience store on Main Street. You drive up, make your offer, and drive them to the work site. After they are done, you pay them cash, and drive them back to the parking lot where you picked them up.

CD

Back
Top Bottom