What's your next new piece of kitchen equipment?

That is quite a lot to pay for a tin opener! I hope it works well. I've found that the mechanism on that type of tin opener sometimes doesn't work with certain types of tins. It somehow doesn't grip the rim. I now use a simple butterfly tin opener which seems to do the job on any kind of tin. You can get one for about £1.50.

View attachment 13229

That is not to say that yours won't be the Rolls Royce of tin openers!
I bought one of those in 1971 when I moved into my first flat. It's still going strong, although I do have an electric one as well (a present). Those old ones have an excellent bottle opener inbuilt, which also comes in very handy for opening those jars that are vacuum-sealed. I can never get enough grip to twist those lids.

How does that work for vacuum sealed? :scratchhead:I have a very handy gadget which wraps round the lid and levers it off.
The bit on the end of the handle

Untitled.jpg

You can use that to hook under the end of metal beer bottle caps, or hook under the lids on jars. Lift it up gently and it breaks the vacuum seal.

Blimey - I am dumb. It never occurred to me to use that on jar lids. But does it not damage the lid?
It makes a slight dent in the edge of the lid - if you're gentle, that is. You will soon know when the seal has broken, and you can still do the lid up OK afterwards. Trust me - I've been using one like that for years :okay:

It makes a slight dent in the edge of the lid - if you're gentle, that is. You will soon know when the seal has broken, and you can still do the lid up OK afterwards. Trust me - I've been using one like that for years :okay:
Brilliant tip! I will try this next time.

Headed out to buy a refrigerator after work. Ours broke sometime in the night :( Might get a new stove while were at it. We did have them both for the last 21 years.

If we can collect the required number of stickers from our major superstore, we hope to be getting this to replace an old aluminium one. 240 mm diameter.

We have 79 so need another 61 before the end of September. 1 sticker for each Bht 200 (£4.50) spent.
stockpot.jpg

I'd like a stanless steel cake pan...2 actually a square and a rectangle.

A deep fryer. Right now I just use a pot and oil and have come to the conclusion I really should get one since I would get use out of it. Since I am new to all this cooking stuff I need a lot of things and so anything like pots, pans, etc., are bought when I stumble across a killer deals. I need a list of things like spring form pans, more and bigger mixing bowls and on and on lol.

Another gadget for my Kenwood chef I think, or possibly an induction tagine.

Back
Top Bottom