Where did you grow up?

Armley in Leeds then to Wortley then back to Armley [when we married] but we both always wanted to move out of the city so when my work offered to move us north [they needed an engineer to the northern end of the A1 motorway] we found our current [and final] house just outside Durham. Surrounded by fields and woods so great for the dogs and so peaceful.

Armley in Leeds then to Wortley then back to Armley [when we married] but we both always wanted to move out of the city so when my work offered to move us north [they needed an engineer to the northern end of the A1 motorway] we found our current [and final] house just outside Durham. Surrounded by fields and woods so great for the dogs and so peaceful.

Durham is a lovely county. And Durham city is a place I love to visit.

Born and reared in Lafayette, LA. 12 years Catholic school and the University now called ULL - University of Louisiana in Lafayette. Three months shy of my 30th birthday I joined the Navy. While on Active duty I was stationed in Jacksonville, FL, San Diego, CA., Norfolk, VA. (lived in Virginia Beach) and NOLA. Thanks to the USN Reserves I was able to travel to places I probably never would have visited other wise. Thanks Uncle Sam.

my place of choice to visit would be Louisiana - except that I can't deal with heat... chilli heat yes, hot sun no!

That means you have to visit me between late February and the end of May or mid September through November. Most winters are mild but it is not as pretty as during the spring when every thing is in bloom. Get your bags packed. :D

I had a somewhat peripatetic existence, something I tended to continue until more recent years. In my youth, I shuffled around between the north-east of England, the south of Ireland and the south-east of England. For the last 25 years (excepting two and a half years in sub-Saharan Africa), I have lived in Scotland. No wonder I have a slightly strange accent...

I lived with my parents in Shipston - on - Stour, Warwickshire, a village about 10 miles south of Stratford - upon - Avon, where I went to the grammar school
When I was 16 we moved to Beswick, Manchester, and went to school in Gorton, but I got to know the city centre fairly well
Then I went to Nottingham University, but only for a year as I failed my exams; that too was a part of growing up
Returned to Manchester and lived in a few flats & shared houses. Went to Stockport College of Technology and got HNC Applied Biology via day release
By then I'd be about 25 and thus ended the period that might be called 'growing up'

Yes, Shipston is in a nice area but I took to City Life and also prefer the North
From Manchester I found a job in Kendal, Cumbria, and now I've settled in the Pendle area of north east Lancashire

I've been back to Shipston about 3 or 4 of times. In 2016 an American friend visited and we did the Shakespeare & Cotswold thing, including my showing him where I grew up. It was interesting to see it from a stranger's point of view

But I have plans for this year. There are several festivals and other events I'd like to see, so fro each of them I'm going to turn them into a bit of a tour round; also my daughter & family live in Gloucester. I'll probably have a look at Shipston as well

A bit OT but I'll also try to see the Beltane Border Morris Dancers, who perform mostly in the south
Search for them on YouTube, they're quite impressive

Last edited:
.....Shipston - on - Stour, Warwickshire, a village about 10 miles south of Stratford - upon - Avon.....
Beautiful part of the country. I used to spend many a weekend break in Long Compton, and had falconer friends in Wellesbourne. Often used to go into Broadway, Chipping Camden and Snowshill too.

I was born and brought up in Hornchurch, in the days when it was a rural parish in Essex, and lived in the house where I was born right up until I moved to Strümpfelbach i.R. just outside Waiblingen in southern Germany. I lived and worked in Exohi, a tiny village in very rural Greece, a few miles out of Katerini - not even a road going to the village in those days, no gas, no electricity, and no running water either. After I came back to the UK, I lived in Brixton for a while before moving back to my parents' house for a few months. I eventually got my own (Council) flat in a high-rise block, but still in Hornchurch, before moving to my house not very far away in 1971.

Back
Top Bottom