Where is your garlic from? And does it matter...

I can get it online, easily. I drive through Gilroy every time I go to Monterey Peninsula, for Monterey car week, and the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The smell of garlic growing in the fields is intoxicating to a garlic lover. For others, it stinks. :laugh:

Gilroy has a Garlic Festival. I'd love to go, some year.

Gilroy Garlic Festival

A mass shooting occurred at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in 2019. The gunman killed three people and wounded 17 others before committing suicide after a shootout with responding police officers. :cry:

CD
Yeah. That was a sad turnup while I was Googling earlier. :(

I can get it online, easily. I drive through Gilroy every time I go to Monterey Peninsula, for Monterey car week, and the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The smell of garlic growing in the fields is intoxicating to a garlic lover. For others, it stinks. :laugh:

Gilroy has a Garlic Festival. I'd love to go, some year.

Gilroy Garlic Festival

A mass shooting occurred at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in 2019. The gunman killed three people and wounded 17 others before committing suicide after a shootout with responding police officers. :cry:

CD

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is one of those events I stay away from after going once. There are a lot of vendors offering Garlic prepared food from booths and they will have a band or two playing music. The traffic at the end of the day is murder and a huge head ache as hundreds of people all leave the festival at the same time.

As far as festivals go, the area has two Jazz Festivals, the biggest being the Monterey Jazz Festival which if I recall, was started by a winner of the California Lotto. The other Jazz Festival is the San Jose Jazz Festival. If you love Jazz, both are great venues. The San Jose Jazz Festival is unique in that it is not all on one green, but spread throughout the downtown area with band stands setup in blocked off streets. It has a huge variety of Jazz venues and artists. You get plenty of walking, talking and meeting people. You can't help but shake your bootie.

The biggest garlic producer in the UK is based on the Isle of Wight. Sadly, they only produce around 160 tons per year, so most of our supply is imported. There is an annual garlic festival held there every August.

We have a local garlic producer so if I'm out of home grown (I've grown about 50 heads this year) then I'll first try for the local stuff, failing that then it is Australian grown (purple) garlic from the supermarket and worst case scenario the Chinese (white hard-stalked) imports (also from the supermarket

Not sure if it's just me, but the small variety is much stronger in flavour than the big variety. Maybe the big one gets more chemical fertilizers while the smaller ones are organic.

Not sure if it's just me, but the small variety is much stronger in flavour than the big variety. Maybe the big one gets more chemical fertilizers while the smaller ones are organic.
Mate, it's down to the different varieties within hard/soft garlic. Supermarket customers want large clean white bulbs not flavor.

My friend gave me two plaits with a and b written on them, I had to let him know which one I liked best. I don't remember the outcome.? Lol. They were two different types.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom