Which animal proteins do you eat most often?

Which animal proteins do you consume most often?

• Beef

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Cheese

• Eggs

• Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goat

• Lamb or Mutton

• Pork

• Poultry

• Seafood

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yoghurt

• Other

• I don't eat animal protein

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:45 PM
There is conflicting data about which meat is the most consumed across the world. According to the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations it is pork, with poultry coming second. Please note, I've included other animal proteins in the poll besides meat - I haven't listed every type of meat. Goat is included because it is high on the list of meats consumed world-wide. Two choices allowed.

Some people ― Gordon Ramsay on a recent episode of “Master Chef Junior,” for example ― say goat meat is the “most popular protein on the planet,” based on “the number of people across the world that eat it.”

Since no data exists providing information on the number of people who eat a certain type of meat, Ramsay isn’t exactly basing his claim on solid footing. There are, however, different statistics that prove his claims aren’t likely to be true.

If you look at statistics from the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, the most consumed meat per million tonnes is pork (112.4) as of 2012. Next comes poultry (107), then beef (68) and then sheep and goat (14), which get lumped into one category.

Last edited:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/world-according-to-meat-consumption/

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 17.55.58.png

If you had combined cheeseand yoghurt, and added milk as the category dairy, that would probably edge out poultry for me as #1. A close third would be a fish and seafood tie, then a tie for beef and pork. The rest are less common to count.

Last edited:
If you had combined cheeseand yoghurt, and added milk as the category dairy, that would probably edge out poultry for me as #1. A close third would be a fish and seafood tie, then a tie for beef and pork. The rest are less common to count.

Milk is a drink so I didn't include it. Maybe just vote for cheese and poultry then?

Egg and cheese tho i agree a dairy category would likely would have been better. I always consider milk a food...a liquid food but can be solidified...such as ice cream. Often for breakfast if i am short on time i have a glass of chocolate milk and a banana for food on the run.

Egg and cheese tho i agree a dairy category would likely would have been better. I always consider milk a food...a liquid food but can be solidified...such as ice cream. Often for breakfast if i am short on time i have a glass of chocolate milk and a banana for food on the run.

Sorry - can't really change it now.

Back
Top Bottom