Which fresh herbs do use most often?

We are asked to start new threads, so here goes. I use a lot of fresh thyme, basil and coriander. I keep meaning to try a wider range of fresh herbs in my cooking and its partly habit and partly availability which stops me. Which fresh herbs do you use the most and why?
Whatever a recipe calls for. The ones I've used are basil, parsley and cilantro.

Fresh Herbs: In Italian, fresh Basil, which I grow on my terrace & Oregano. . For French: Herbes de Maquis or Herbes Provencales: oregano. Thyme. Rosemary. Savory. Basil. For Spanish : More or less same as mentioned. I also use Saffron, Spearmint & Dill for my Salmon. Sweets : Lavender. Cinamon. I also use nutmeg for my Bechamel. I use cumin from time to time, Smoked Paprika & Indian Curry.

. For French: Herbes de Maquis or Herbes Provencales: oregano. Thyme. Rosemary. Savory. Basil. .

You are one of the few people I know that use Savory.

I learned about it from a pizza place in my old neighborhood.

They've won many awards with their pizzas over the years, and they are somewhat famous in New Jersey (mostly due to their location between highways, lol).
I've heard people have tried to duplicate their recipe, but no one could ever guess what their secret was.
One day I was cleaning out a cupboard and found a bottle of savory in a spice rack that was years old. Before I tossed it out, I tasted the Savory and voila'! That was the secret ingredient in the pizza.
Tjey not only use it 50/50 with Oregano in their sauce, but they also sprinkle a little on top of the assembled pizza.

Try Savory on a pizza in lieu of or in addition to Oregano sometime.

...Coriander is the herb of the devil.
Yes! Let's make that a qualified yes. In the States, the fresh herb is called cilantro. That is my winner for herb of the devil. Coriander is the seed from the cilantro plant, and that one I like! They're like tiny beige peppercorns; when you grind them they have this fresh lemony flavor and smell. Nothing like the fresh cilantro.

I have a basil plant on my kitchen windowsill that gets harvested regularly. I also go through fresh parsley a lot. Like bucky, I no longer have a nice herb bed, so I buy fresh as needed for specific recipes and resort to dried for much of my daily use. I really need to head on down to the nursery/farm, since this time of year they have fresh herbs in pots that are much nicer than what I can buy at the grocery store. Before I know it, I might not be able to see out my kitchen window!

I love Savoury. there are actually two types. summer and winter savoury. Summer savoury is an annual, winter savoury is a perianal. I am still trying to locate it here in Australia but I did have both types whilst I lived in the UK and used the winter version the most (grown fresh in my garden) and purchased the summer savoury! It is often called for in one of my Persian cookery books.

They've won many awards with their pizzas over the years, and they are somewhat famous in New Jersey (mostly due to their location between highways, lol).
I've heard people have tried to duplicate their recipe, but no one could ever guess what their secret was.
One day I was cleaning out a cupboard and found a bottle of savory in a spice rack that was years old. Before I tossed it out, I tasted the Savory and voila'! That was the secret ingredient in the pizza.
Tjey not only use it 50/50 with Oregano in their sauce, but they also sprinkle a little on top of the assembled pizza.

Wow ! My husband is from Le Salon de Provençe, 35 - 40 minutes north of Marseille .. And it is very common in this region to use in Provençal dishes and Corsican .. All of which were Roman ruled !!
Fascinating that you use it for Pizza !

Have a lovely evening and a wonderful weekend.

I love Savoury. there are actually two types. summer and winter savoury. Summer savoury is an annual, winter savoury is a perianal. I am still trying to locate it here in Australia but I did have both types whilst I lived in the UK and used the winter version the most (grown fresh in my garden) and purchased the summer savoury! It is often called for in one of my Persian cookery books.

Yes, there are 2 types. I grow herbs on my terrace .. Of course in the Winter, I have to bring them indoors as it is too too cold for some of them ..
Persian Cuisine: Quite an extraordinary elegant cuisine. They have very beautiful rices. I believe that the Herbes de Maquis or Herbes de Provençe are indigenious to the region and / or the Romans brought them to southern France where they ruled for hundreds of years. I would like to get a book on Persian Cuisine .. Spain has their International Book Fair until the 18th of June ! or Fnac

Interesting !!! Have a wonderful weekend ..

I shall use on a Pizza !!! Great idea .. I will give it a shot ..

Back
Top Bottom