Which fresh herbs do you use the most?

Which fresh herbs do you use the most. You can choose 3.

• Coriander

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Parsley

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Basil

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Mint

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Thyme

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Rosemary

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Dill

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Chives

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Lemon Grass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tarragon

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be astonished if that were the case.

It is really very popular. I can remember when you couldn't buy it unless you went to Asian shops but now its in all the supermarkets. Trouble is it goes limp quickly so I get pots rather than packs.

The U.S. and Mexico call coriander cilantro...i use it often in beans with oregano, garlic, and pepper.

Do you guys ever use cuban oregano? I use it fresh or dry it and keep it in a jar. Its very strong and you don't need much...here is a photo of my plant. The leaves are much larger and fleshier than italian oregano and fuzzy.
A1537FAE-8EEC-4E1E-B986-85C5AF440643.jpeg

The U.S. and Mexico call coriander cilantro...i use it often in beans with oregano, garlic, and pepper.

Do you guys ever use cuban oregano? I use it fresh or dry it and keep it in a jar. Its very strong and you don't need much...here is a photo of my plant. The leaves are much larger and fleshier than italian oregano and fuzzy.
View attachment 19885

I never heard of this. Apparently its a succulent and goes by various names besides Cuban oregano (says Wiki):

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 00.27.24.png

'round these parts of the US, cilantro is the fresh, leafy green herb, and coriander is the seeds of the plant.

Before we moved into the mountains, where anything I grow gets eaten by the wildlife upon whose turf I am intruding, I used to have an herb box that measured roughly 1m by 4m (3'x12').

In it, I grew horseradish, rosemary, lemon thyme, chives, sage, parsley.

In another area by the veggie garden, I grew mint, chervil, creeping thyme, wild garlic, garlic chives, and cilantro.

Those were my halcyon days of cooking with fresh herbs.

I miss being able to walk outside, snip a few plants, and create somrthing tasty with them.

Before we moved into the mountains, where anything I grow gets eaten by the wildlife upon whose turf I am intruding, I used to have an herb box that measured roughly 1m by 4m (3'x12').

In it, I grew horseradish, rosemary, lemon thyme, chives, sage, parsley.

In another area by the veggie garden, I grew mint, chervil, creeping thyme, wild garlic, garlic chives, and cilantro.

Those were my halcyon days of cooking with fresh herbs.

I miss being able to walk outside, snip a few plants, and create somrthing tasty with them.

How lovely - can you really not grow anything in the mountains?

I am surprised that both sage and oregano are not on the list. They would not be in my top three, but would be fourth and fifth.

How lovely - can you really not grow anything in the mountains?

There are just too many critters that eat everything in sight. Plus the soil is very poor. Yes, the latter can be augmented, but for naught if the animals get to it.

You'd have to build a pen around your garden like Fort Knox in order to keep them out. It has to be 8 feet or higher, or the deer will just jump over, and it has to go 2 feet into the ground to keep out burrowing animals like groundhogs. Digging a trench 2 feet deep around the circumference by hand is extremely difficult due to all of the boulders just below the surface.

Finally, it has to be strong enough to stop a 300 or 400 lb bear.

Here in nz we don't have all the critters you describe, therefor I can just go outside and pick fresh herbs. I planted some horse radish around the back where I hardly ever go. I must go check it. I love it.

Russ

I grow most of my herbs in the garden: bay, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, sage, oregano, mint, chives & wild garlic - which I use either fresh or dried, depending on the time of year. I've not had much luck growing parsley and corriander from seed so I tend to buy them frozen. Basil is another one I prefer to grow rather than buy, but I didn't grow any this year.

There are just too many critters that eat everything in sight. Plus the soil is very poor. Yes, the latter can be augmented, but for naught if the animals get to it.

You'd have to build a pen around your garden like Fort Knox in order to keep them out. It has to be 8 feet or higher, or the deer will just jump over, and it has to go 2 feet into the ground to keep out burrowing animals like groundhogs. Digging a trench 2 feet deep around the circumference by hand is extremely difficult due to all of the boulders just below the surface.

Finally, it has to be strong enough to stop a 300 or 400 lb bear.

Blimey! What about a greenhouse - or would they smash it down?

Back
Top Bottom