Which 'new' things do you wash before using?

Not really - but I would if it was in a particularly seedy hotel which might have bed bugs.

I wasn't really thinking of seedy hotels. I've lived in hotels for many years (some of them seedy) but never (until now) considered what my mattresses had been used for/or subjected to before I slept on them.

Just a thought.

Time for bed,

Does anyone have a problem with sleeping on "used" mattresses in hotel rooms?

Our daughter does. She takes her own sheets, etc unless it's a really upscale place. She worked for a mid-range price hotel chain for a while as a desk clerk, then asst manager and saw what goes on behind the scenes.

I don't wash new clothing items, but do wash new plates, glasses, pans, utensils, etc.

My random thought appears to have sparked quite a debate! I am enjoying reading this, many good points are being made :happy:

Mod.Edit. following few posts moved from General Chat thread to form new topic.
To widen the discussion, this could include food and drink, cooking utensils etc. (MG)

Not sure if this is a gender thing but when I buy new pants-underwear-I always wash them before wearing them even if they are from a packet, my husband never bothers to wash his before he puts them on.
Just a random thought.

I try to remember to launder new jeans before I wear them. I was in a rush to wear my new jeans, cut off the tags, then sat on my beige sofa. It left a big blue dye stain. I definitely wash everything I buy from eBay. Some of the clothing is so soaked in perfume, my mailbox smells like a cheap Bordello. Lol.

Last edited:
I try to remember to launder new jeans before I wear them. I was in a rush to wear my new jeans, cut off the tags, then sat on my beige sofa. It left a big blue dye stain. I definitely wash everything I buy from eBay. Some of the clothing is so soaked in perfume, my mailbox smells like a cheap Bordello. Lol.

Oops :laugh:

I once put my husband's red boxer shorts in the wash without hand washing them first, I have never owned so many pink items :giggle:

Red boxer shorts? He sounds like a real colorful guy. Lol

Many moons ago I bought him a pair of 'fun' shorts, they had a squeaker in them, so when dressed in his smart work gear he would put his hands in his pockets, as guys do, and he would press the squeaker, no one twigged where the noise was coming from :laugh:

Many moons ago I bought him a pair of 'fun' shorts, they had a squeaker in them, so when dressed in his smart work gear he would put his hands in his pockets, as guys do, and he would press the squeaker, no one twigged where the noise was coming from :laugh:

Brilliant.

My new rash vest arrived yesterday, it won't need a rinse through before it is worn.

Back
Top Bottom