Which 'new' things do you wash before using?

Discussion in 'The CookingBites Cafe' started by Lullabelle, 2 Aug 2018.

1. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

There are many "second hand" clothes shops around here but as I say, 99% of locals are much shorter than I am and so are their clothes.

2. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

My wife washes duck eggs,

3. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

Yesterday I bought 2 new nightshirts, they were washed this morning, who knows how many hands have been on them?

4. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Über Member

Most every thing. All fabrics. Any and all purchased produce. Even those that are bagged and claim to be washed . Produce from my garden is washed. I do not use chemicals but I wash to clean off any dust or air borne contaminated. Also any living creatures that may be hitching a ride into the house
    Most meat and seafood products are rinsed off and patted dry.
    @Lullabelle you are right on . There is no way to know how many hands have touched your fabrics or your food. Kind of creepy when you stop and think about it.

Lullabelle likes this.
  5. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Über Member

We recently purchased a new set of dishware. It was washed in hot, soapy water before being put away in the cabinet .
    I am not a neat freak . My house is a mess always . I have this weird thing about bringing in anything that has not been washed . I can live with our mess but I do not want to use items that other people have handled without washing it. Ok - I may be a nut case. G.contends that I should be as concerned about our daily living conditions .

rascal likes this.
  6. rascal

rascal Über Member

We've never bought anything second hand, but my wife gives her good clothes that she's sick of to a group here that organise nice clothes for poor women who are trying to get in the workforce. My wife spends a LOT of money on clothes. She has to be presentable for her job. I'm a typical bloke normally in shorts and a top, barefoot a must for me. None of our new clothes get washed before we wear. New linen is just put away after unwrapping. My wife as I've said earlier is a bit of a clean freak. She cleans up after me,lol. Sheets normally get washed every weekend. If it was me, I'd pay a cleaner to come do that type of work. Don't get me wrong, I do my bit around here. Wife also likes flowers on our kitchen table weekly. Our carnations are beautiful ATM.
    I did commercial cleaning as a second job when I started in the workforce.

Russ

7. rascal

rascal Über Member

Wife also does that with new crockery, usually to clean BUT also it takes off any stickers that may be attached to the crockery. She normally buys 2 sets of anything as we quite often cook for that amount.

Russ