Which spices don't you have?

We had a DUH moment when making up the ingredient/shopping list for the curry pastes Craig is going to make. One of them called for Japanese dried chilis. Guess what the Spanish/Mexican word for Japan is. Yep, it's Japon.

The spices I use the quickest are oregano and basil. The next quickest usage are the savory spices, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and sage, along with red pepper flakes, paprika and chilli powder.

But I will never be out of these. I will always replenish them before I run out.

We had a DUH moment when making up the ingredient/shopping list for the curry pastes Craig is going to make. One of them called for Japanese dried chilis. Guess what the Spanish/Mexican word for Japan is. Yep, it's Japon.

Pronounced "Hah-pone." Four semesters of Spanish weren't a total waste. Almost, but not total. :facepalm:

CD

The spices I use the quickest are oregano and basil. The next quickest usage are the savory spices, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and sage, along with red pepper flakes, paprika and chilli powder.

But I will never be out of these. I will always replenish them before I run out.

I grow those. All but the basil are alive in my garden all year. I keep a variety of paprikas in the pantry, too.

CD

Pronounced "Hah-pone." Four semesters of Spanish weren't a total waste. Almost, but not total. :facepalm:

CD
Yes we know. We do live in and grew up in a largely Hispanic area after all. That's why it was such a DUH moment.

the real question is:

what % of your cabinet is 1 year out of date?
what % of your cabinet is 2 years out of date?
what % of your cabinet is 3 years out of date?
what % of your cabinet is 4 years out of date?

There are some ingredients that I have no idea how long I've had. They include dried curry leaves, methi leaves and long peppers.

my parent had a summer cottage - eventually sold - and I had to take these as we were cleaning out... from the 50's-60's. metal tins, sliding lids....

Back
Top Bottom