Which way do you make cheese on toast?

Do you toast both side of the bread when making cheese on toast or just one?

• Total voters
Cheese, onion & tomato with rosemary and burnt edges from a few months ago:

That is a grilled cheese sandwich or toasted cheese sandwich in Merca. As a kid, we cooked them in a cast iron skillet with something heavy on top to flatten it out. Today, I use a Cuisinart Griddler, which is basically a panini press. Same basic result.

Also as a kid, it was white bread with American cheese. "Artisan" grilled cheese sandwiches are all the rage these days, with every kind of bread and cheese being used.

CD

Yeah same here, we even have restaurant chains like 'Happy tosti' selling those sandwiches. I still prefer the simple white bread one though.

Toast 1 side, turn over, lightly toast then sprinkle on grated cheese, my husband likes worcester shaken over then complete the toasting/melting. Once done spread the melted cheese over the toast, I use flora spread on mine.

It's not really a tradition in my country to have open faced cheese toast, we usually take two slices of bread, stuff cheese and/or other fillings between them, butter the outside and then put it in a toastie grill.
That looks like this:
View attachment 32977

My favorite toastie is one with mozzarella, red pesto and basil.
We call that a toastie, my fave is cheese and chow chow/ piccalilli to muricans. As cd says we had these also in the fire as kids, normally on a Sunday night in winter. They were called waffles then. We still have one here somewhere, aluminium. Our fire was sealed up about 25 years ago , so don't know why we've kept it??

Russ

And what's this welsh rarebit??? My wife used to make the toast then top,with a mix of grated cheese an egg and onion chopped and dash of Worcester sauce, finely all mixed together and put on toast to grill/broil. I should try this again

Russ

Is it supposed to have eggs with it??

Russ

I haven't a clue. I did live in Wales (south) for about 10 months and Wales (north) for about 6 months but I'm not Welsh.

We call that a toastie, my fave is cheese and chow chow/ piccalilli to muricans. As cd says we had these also in the fire as kids, normally on a Sunday night in winter. They were called waffles then. We still have one here somewhere, aluminium. Our fire was sealed up about 25 years ago , so don't know why we've kept it??

Russ

Would the waffle iron work on a BBQ perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom