White House State Dinner Menu

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:55 AM
I'd merrily eat all of that.
Love the table colours but do not like the look of that sequinned table cloth, it looks uncomfortable and just the sort of thing that would snag delicate fabrics. One way to keep peoples arms off the table I suppose 😂

Like the sound of the pudding but the execution looks.. dare I say it.. childish.

Every little bit except the tomato soup. I love tomatoes in almost every other way but I dislike tomato soup for some reason.

Last edited:
To answer my own question:

I wouldn’t be too excited over the cold soup, so I’d likely embarrass myself by dipping the sourdough crisps in it and just eating those.

The main…I’d make sure they knew to put my lobster on MrsT’s plate, and I’d push the kale off to the side and out of the way. That leaves the beef and the corn, which I’m fine with.

Seeing as I donated my lobster, I’d expect two of the desserts as compensation, though I’d whisper to whomever was on my other side that you’d think the White House could manage a slice of cake for something like this.

I would eat the heck out of that entire menu.

I’m not a huge cold soup fan, but if it’s been prepared by the White House chefs all fancy-pantsy, it’s probably yummy.
We can only hope!

Would that menu tempt your tastebuds, or would you nibble a bit of each dish out of politeness,
I think the menu is very uninspiring. When you break it down, it's tomato soup with bread, ribs and lobster with cabbage (kale) and sweetcorn, and some desserts. I'd eat it (except the ribs) but I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.
Having said that, I imagine "State Dinners" are very, extremely difficult to put together. I've read that, in the UK, the Royal Family won't allow garlic, too many onions, or seafood. I imagine other countries have similar restrictions, depending on the leader.
As for the wines, I'll be fine with the Pinot Noir (and I've had some extremely good Californian versions), although the Chardonnay is not to my taste. I find it often has a sort of bitter aftertaste.
I've no doubt the chefs will prepare an extraordinary plating, however. That's what they're there for!
Afterwards, I'd probably head out for a curry. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think the menu is very uninspiring. When you break it down, it's tomato soup with bread, ribs and lobster with cabbage (kale) and sweetcorn, and some desserts. I'd eat it (except the ribs) but I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.
Having said that, I imagine "State Dinners" are very, extremely difficult to put together. I've read that, in the UK, the Royal Family won't allow garlic, too many onions, or seafood. I imagine other countries have similar restrictions, depending on the leader.
As for the wines, I'll be fine with the Pinot Noir (and I've had some extremely good Californian versions), although the Chardonnay is not to my taste. I find it often has a sort of bitter aftertaste.
I've no doubt the chefs will prepare an extraordinary plating, however. That's what they're there for!
Afterwards, I'd probably head out for a curry. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I also thought it wasn't particularly inspiring but I also thought they are bound to stick with foods that will keep the Kenyan president happy and still appeal to everyone.

Even when I'm cooking for the normal folk I know I try and find out their food likes and dislikes before I decide what I'm cooking because once many years ago I spent a whole day preparing a Asian style picnic for myself and two friends that at the time I didn't know very well.

I laid it out and one of them said I don't like Chinese food, didn't eat any of it and bought herself some chips from one of those dodgy vans. That's a disappointment I've never repeated!

Those flowers are stunning set at the table. If I saw correctly the tomato soup is green? Is it green tomatoes then? Anyways, I would try all except the overly sweet, gluten and dairy stuff...possibly the desserts...although they look beautiful and crafty...perhaps I would look forward to hearing tales and stories from Kenya and the Us, I love storytelling...should there be any good storytellers present...😃what a brilliant idea for a thread though!
And agreeing with SandwichShortOfAPicnic , I would hope as an invitee that my diet restrictions would be met, so surely, this was tailored to the Kenyan guests, and also featuring some Us delicacies...that need to be showcased...

I think they often try to take into account the dignitary’s likes.
I know the royal family were so absolutely fed up with people trying to impress them with food that simpler fare was often requested. Must be very boring having to eat things you don’t fancy all the time.

When I went on one of my longer motorcycle trips before the kitchen pannier was came to be I had to eat hotel food every day. I got fed up with it surprisingly quickly, by the third week I just wanted something less complicated with less fat n salt which always feature heavily in the food served in hotels. Some vegetables that weren’t swimming in something or a normal salad.

The Kenyan president probably has to sit through a lot of meals he has no say in wishing it was something plainer, his assistant would likely let them know that 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom