Recipe White Wine Crêpes for Savory Filling

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:37 PM
I based this crêpes recipe from a culmination of several different recipes, none of which included white (dry) wine as an ingredient, but hey, it sounded good to me, so why-ne not? I don't think the wine is a deal breaker, however, so if you don't want to use wine, substitute cold water instead.

These crêpes make a great vehicle for a variety of savory fillings (or toppings, depending on desired presentation), including but not limited to seafood, vegetables, and chicken.

Makes approximately 4-5 crepes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup AP flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
1/3 c white wine
2 eggs
2 tbsp melted butter (and additional butter for cooking crepes)

Preparation method:
Add all ingredients to a medium size mixing bowl and whisk together.

I have seen various recipes for whisking the batter by hand, using a food processor, using a blender, etc. but for this small amount of crêpes I didn't feel the need to use any electrical appliances.

Set mixture in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour before making crêpes.

Brush melted butter in an 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir the batter and ladle a scoop of the batter into center of pan. Quickly lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until the top looks dry, then turn the crêpe over and cook until bottom is cooked, 15-20 seconds longer. Repeat until the batter is gone. Some people place wax paper or paper towels in between the crêpes to keep them from sticking. I used them all for our meal last night so didn't feel it was necessary.

Last edited:
Yes, that last day gets us members in the US antsy about posting, as much as we can while doing what we can to complete the actual creative recipe, photograph it and yes, consume it.

:wink:

Yes, that last day gets us members in the US antsy about posting, as much as we can while doing what we can to complete the actual creative recipe, photograph it and yes, consume it.

:wink:
Yeah, it's not the crêpes that have me thinking. I've made crêpes plenty of times. It's what I'm building using them that has my mind going. I haven't followed a recipe when I have made crêpes in the past so I had to confer with online resources.

Last edited:
The crêpes look very good and delicate. I'm interested in the addition of white wine although I can't quite imagine how it affects the taste.

The crêpes look very good and delicate. I'm interested in the addition of white wine although I can't quite imagine how it affects the taste.
It was a dry wine that was suitable for drinking (I never cook with anything I can't drink). They were delicious, I ate one as is and the white wine flavour was subtle but detectable. When I put the toppings on, however, it wasn't as easily detectable because the seafood tarragon cream sauce in the resulting dish had white wine in it as well. I am going to finish the write up for this recipe shortly and then post the recipe for the other dish.

Back
Top Bottom