Who cleans your oven?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:28 AM
We have a lady due to clean our oven, she charges $50 for 30 to 40 mins work and does a first class job. caseydog said he didn't know if he would pay someone that? It's not a job I would want to do and obviously not my wife as she got hold of this lady who does it full time.
Who does yours and his often?

Russ

Ovens here, even fairly basic ones, come with a cleaning cycle that works wonderfully.

On mine, it takes about three hours from start to finish. The oven locks and heats up several hundred degrees, and that burns any residue away. It unlocks after it cools down to a safe temp, and I just do a quick wipe with a damp paper towel to pick up the ash.

I run it probably four times a year. It's especially nice in the winter, because it'll damn near heat two rooms while it's running. :laugh:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I aim to keep mine from getting dirty. The best step for that is to put some heavy-duty aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch drippings from the top rack. It is good for a few months, then you just ball the foil up, trough it away, and put a new layer of foil on the rack.

CD

As I mentioned in the other thread, I aim to keep mine from getting dirty. The best step for that is to put some heavy-duty aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch drippings from the top rack. It is good for a few months, then you just ball the foil up, trough it away, and put a new layer of foil on the rack.

CD
Advice taken and I will do it, we have a commercial roll of foil so it's not like a lot of money to help save on cleaning.

Russ

Ovens here, even fairly basic ones, come with a cleaning cycle that works wonderfully.

On mine, it takes about three hours from start to finish. The oven locks and heats up several hundred degrees, and that burns any residue away. It unlocks after it cools down to a safe temp, and I just do a quick wipe with a damp paper towel to pick up the ash.

I run it probably four times a year. It's especially nice in the winter, because it'll damn near heat two rooms while it's running. :laugh:

My (electric) oven is not self-cleaning. Besides, there is no way I'd want to run my oven for three hours at 500-plus degrees in the summer in Texas. My air conditioning would be running the whole three hours. My electric usage would be ridiculous.

CD

My oven cleans itself too. It has 2 clean settings, a quickie that you pour some water in the bottom and it basically steam cleans light stuff, then you wipe it down. Then there's the cycle like CD was talking about. Hot as hades and turns even heavy spills to ash.

That was actually Tasty -- my oven doesn't have a self-cleaning capability.

CD

Pre clean

fair warning to the foil on the bottom theories:

some oven heat through the bottom - foil over/on the bottom can cause elements to burn out/fail.

check you manual/instructions before doing that deed. way cheaper.

I put the foil on the bottom cooking rack. Since that rack can be used for cooking, I don't think it will bother the coils. It hasn't caused a problem in the 30-or-so years I've been doing it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom