Steam clean cycle
Hellfire clean cycle
Keep warm setting (for the oven)
Storage drawer
Glass top
Four burners, two are dual-sized
Warming burner
Delay bake setting

I've never used the delay bake setting, because I'm not too keen on putting a casserole in the oven at 8AM, letting it sit all day at room temp, just so the oven can kick on at 4PM, and have it done when I walk in at 5PM.

I've used the convection (fan) setting once and saw zero difference in the results and haven't gone back to it since, and it's also too annoying to have to do temp and time conversions on the fly for it, so that's a "feature" I'd never specifically seek out again.

I use the Keep Warm setting a lot to warm plates or to hold food while something else is finishing. I also use the warming burner to melt butter or heat syrup. It takes a while, but if I remember to do it at the very start of cooking, it does work well.

Steam clean doesn't work for diddly-squat, it doesn't remove even the slightest gunk buildup. I think I'd have to use it every day to get it to keep the oven clean. The heat cycle, though, that'll blast through anything. I've even used it to strip the seasoning off a cast iron pan so I could redo it.

I do keep my flat baking sheets in the storage drawer.

Just for fun, I checked by local Lowe's (big box DIY store) and found these interesting things (checking electric cookers/ranges only, as that's what I have):

Most expensive: $3,300
Least expensive: $270
Least expensive self-cleaning oven: $470
Oven closest to mine: $670

The cheapest one is a no-name "apartment-sized" range, with features such as "two racks," and "even heat distribution." :)

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, there are "ranges" that are a one piece oven and stovetop, and there are setups like mine, where the oven and cooktop are separate appliances. The oven can go inside a cabinet unit or wall, the cooktop is built into the countertop.

RANGE
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 1.15.50 PM.png

SEPARATE OVEN/COOKTOP
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 1.16.22 PM.png

A nice thing about separate oven and cooktops is that you can mix gas and electric. My last house had an electric oven and a gas cooktop. I wish I had done that on my current house which has both electric oven and electric ceramic cooktop.

CD

My ovens in a wall unit, top is the booze cabinet, next down the oven then bottom is two drawers, bottom pots n pans next up is bowls etc.
Next to the wall unit is bench mounted ceramic cooktop. 4 big rings and two smaller. All electric here although I have been contemplating gas hobs??

Russ

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, there are "ranges" that are a one piece oven and stovetop, and there are setups like mine, where the oven and cooktop are separate appliances. The oven can go inside a cabinet unit or wall, the cooktop is built into the countertop.
Yes I think we are talking about slightly different appliances.

For us, an oven is a standalone appliance built into the cabinets, usually designed to fit a standard 60cm unit. An appliance combining oven, hob and usually grill would be called a cooker over here - these are much less popular than they used to be as most people go for built in appliances these days. They can be wholly electric, gas or a combination of the two and basic ones are pretty cheap (less than £200), but I can't actually find any with pyrolytic cleaning.

This is what we'd call a cooker:
indesit_id60c2ws_wh_01_m_p.jpg

Then we have ranges, which tend to be higher end appliances combining a hob and oven (often multiple ovens) and are wider than a cooker the normal ones and can be gas, electric, oil or a combination. Cost....from around £400 upwards for a basic one. The cheapest one I can find with pyrolytic cleaning is just over £1k.

And this is a range:
beko_kdvf90x_ss_01a_m_p.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while pyrolytic cleaning has been around for a while, its definitely not the norm over here.

I have a Neff (German) oven with pyrolytic cleaning, would never change unless it's for another one. And the door slides under the bottom so no stretching over a hot oven.:p:
I looked at the Neff hide and slides but in the end went with an AEG which has a steam function instead. I also would never have an oven without pyrolytic cleaning though.

Yes I think we are talking about slightly different appliances.

For us, an oven is a standalone appliance built into the cabinets, usually designed to fit a standard 60cm unit. An appliance combining oven, hob and usually grill would be called a cooker over here - these are much less popular than they used to be as most people go for built in appliances these days. They can be wholly electric, gas or a combination of the two and basic ones are pretty cheap (less than £200), but I can't actually find any with pyrolytic cleaning.

This is what we'd call a cooker:
View attachment 60805

Then we have ranges, which tend to be higher end appliances combining a hob and oven (often multiple ovens) and are wider than a cooker the normal ones and can be gas, electric, oil or a combination. Cost....from around £400 upwards for a basic one. The cheapest one I can find with pyrolytic cleaning is just over £1k.

And this is a range:
View attachment 60806

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while pyrolytic cleaning has been around for a while, its definitely not the norm over here.

I looked at the Neff hide and slides but in the end went with an AEG which has a steam function instead. I also would never have an oven without pyrolytic cleaning though.

My dream kitchen would have a Viking gas-electric range. :cook: Only $14,000.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viking...range-stainless-steel/6313346.p?skuId=6313346

Unknown-3.jpeg

CD

We have a lady due to clean our oven, she charges $50 for 30 to 40 mins work and does a first class job. caseydog said he didn't know if he would pay someone that? It's not a job I would want to do and obviously not my wife as she got hold of this lady who does it full time.
Who does yours and his often?

Russ
I have a caregiver who comes five days per week. She is very good. Deep cleaning is not part of her job description but she does it for me.

When I was married and had my family I hired a mommy's helper so I usually had help with things like that. Prior to that, I did it. I don't mind doing it. I should point out, however, that I usually clean up spills when they happen so cleaning the oven isn't a monstrous task anyway.

My ovens in a wall unit, top is the booze cabinet, next down the oven then bottom is two drawers, bottom pots n pans next up is bowls etc.
Next to the wall unit is bench mounted ceramic cooktop. 4 big rings and two smaller. All electric here although I have been contemplating gas hobs??

Russ
Are you thinking about energy price monthly savings or does gas give other benefits?

Back
Top Bottom