Who doesn't like curry?

So did I. As is typical of office dos five people do all the work, and the other 295 complain.

I used to make two mains, one meat and one vegetarian, two sides, and a dessert and usually some kind of bread. I also liked doing not-so-typical things, both for folks in the local area and for our visitors.

One meal, I made some kind of chicken dish I found on the internet (and have since lost), and we had a new arrival from India, he didn't know anyone, but he asked around and found out I had made the chicken dish and congratulated me on making something just like his mom would make. Second-best cooking compliment I ever got.

Sounds wonderful to me. I did make an Indian dish once for the work pot luck, and it was well received. At that point I was reporting to a woman who hailed from China, and we didn't get on as well as I'd have liked, so I was uncomfortable even thinking about bringing something from her part of the world... but I wanted to stretch my boundaries (as they were) so came up with an Indian dish.

Now...two mind-blowing interpretations of curry that I just read about, and had never heard of before:
  • Japanese Curry - typically involves starting with a roux to serve as a thickener, and generally also involves the addition of umami-forward ingredients (like mushrooms and miso paste).
  • Curry Bricks - this is not a reference to an NBA player missing a shot (Steph Curry is one of the best shooters in the league). Instead, it's this:
15mag-eat-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Those "bricks" are apparently similar to bouillon cubes, and they can be bought in some places (or, if you're ambitious, you can make your own). They're used used as part of recipes, and not as a stand-alone food: combine vegetables, meat, and curry bricks, and you're well on your way to a delicious meal.

I am intrigued enough to at least try making the first one...the second requires a massive number of ingredients, but I will probably give that a go at some point, too.

Japanese Curry - typically involves starting with a roux to serve as a thickener, and generally also involves the addition of umami-forward ingredients (like mushrooms and miso paste).

I have to say I don't like the sound of this at all - it reminds me of something called curry which used to be sold in Chinese takeaways in the UK; sweet and gloopy. I found this quote about Japanese curry:

The consistency of Japanese curry sauce is much thicker and the taste is on the sweeter side. The sweetness comes from caramelized onions, grated apples, and carrots. It is also less spicy which is suitable for children. We always serve the curry with rice.

Japanese Chicken Curry チキンカレー • Just One Cookbook

Now...two mind-blowing interpretations of curry that I just read about, and had never heard of before:
  • Japanese Curry - typically involves starting with a roux to serve as a thickener, and generally also involves the addition of umami-forward ingredients (like mushrooms and miso paste).

These have recently appeared on our supermarket shelves (not my image).

java curry.jpg

I am told by folks who have tried them that they are good, although to achieve anything akin to "hot" a handful of chillis is necessary.

I don't think that I'll bother (and they are over 2 quid a packet!).

About 11 years ago on the Cooking Light Bulletin Board, he spent a lot of time answering peoples questions about lentils/legumes. I spent a lot of time talking about his book and how much I was enjoying it. I think that is how he found us. lol Hope you enjoy the book also.

You're better off buying Margaret fultons Indian book. I can vouch for this. I think mg bought a copy off e bay?? For a few bucks??

Russ

I think the two publications are very different. Margaret Fulton's is very good but it is a small book. The Raghavem Iyer book is much more comprehensive and covers a wider spectrum of curry dishes. I'd get both! Madhur Jaffrey is also regarded as an authority regarding curry.

I think the two publications are very different. Margaret Fulton's is very good but it is a small book. The Raghavem Iyer book is much more comprehensive and covers a wider spectrum of curry dishes. I'd get both! Madhur Jaffrey is also regarded as an authority regarding curry.

I have madhurs as well,

Russ

Back
Top Bottom