Who doesn't like curry?

Butter chicken is one Indian dish I've yet to try. It has only very recently appeared on menus in my region, and I'm either drawn towards lamb or vegetarian choices first at Indian restaurants. (One of the few cuisines that serves lamb inexpensively.... and sometimes even has goat on the menu!)

Curry powder in non-Indian dishes -

For Indian recipes, I make my own blend of spices each time.

For non-Indian dishes, I use a mild pre-mixed curry powder from a good source. Mother cooked with it frequently when we were growing up. She and I would put it in: Devilled Eggs, and in Chicken & Mushroom Casserole. (I'll post the latter recipe some time in the near future.) There may be other things she used it in, but I'm just having my first cuppa java atm.

Devilled Eggs

Yes - a good use of curry powder. Devilled eggs are far more popular in the USA than here. Here people rarely make them (I do make them & love them) - they were popular back in the 50s & early 60's in the UK but I think they are now regarded as 'retro' along with cheese and pineapple on sticks.

One thing I miss in retirement is the once or twice yearly pot lucks. We had co workers from around the world .. China, India, Croatia, Ireland... people would bring in quite the variety of foods to share. While some hung back, and took only the "safe" foods, most of us delighted in the variety.
We used to do potlucks several times a year - if there was some kind of holiday or special occasions, we'd do a potluck.

We ended up canceling them, or rather letting them fall by the wayside (and I can say this as one of the three organizers and main contributors) because of the constant pissing and moaning before, during, and after every one. And yet, as soon as a few months went by with no potluck, it was, "Hey, when are we doing another potluck, it's been awhile..."

We used to do potlucks several times a year - if there was some kind of holiday or special occasions, we'd do a potluck.

We ended up canceling them, or rather letting them fall by the wayside (and I can say this as one of the three organizers and main contributors) because of the constant pissing and moaning before, during, and after every one. And yet, as soon as a few months went by with no potluck, it was, "Hey, when are we doing another potluck, it's been awhile..."

Wow... where I worked people mostly enjoyed them! If one or two did not, they probably knew they were so outnumbered they kept their thoughts to themselves... Maybe because we only did one or two a year? If someone didn't want to attend, they just didn't bring anything OR show up... (occasionally one or two were too busy to show up, but they'd usually contribute a dish anyway).

When having a BBQ, crawfish boil or crab steaming, I put stuff on the menu that are standard fair for such things. It is what it is and if you come, that is whats on the menu. If you don't like it don't come. I do not bend over backwards to accommodate people that don't like what is being served. If invited and you don't show because you don't like the food or your +1 doesn't, my guest list gets a little shorter.:smug:

TastyReuben I grew up in a Lutheran household. Lutherans in America are masters of the potluck supper. Lots of carbs, lots of fat -- everything bad for you. But, dayum, that stuff was good -- especially when I was a teen and could eat a mountain of food and not gain weight.

CD

TastyReuben I grew up in a Lutheran household. Lutherans in America are masters of the potluck supper. Lots of carbs, lots of fat -- everything bad for you. But, dayum, that stuff was good -- especially when I was a teen and could eat a mountain of food and not gain weight.

CD

Lutheran came with being of German decent, until I got smart. The food at potlucks were full of hearty German and Austrian food. No one seems to be into that anymore. The food that is.

@Mountain Cat - it was all so petty - everything from what day we were having it to how we did the sign-up sheets to cleaning up. No matter how we adjusted things to accommodate one set of complainers, just like whack-a-mole, a new set of complainers would pop up next time.

The largest complaint, by far though, was the food. We had a lot of Indians in the office, and most of them were vegetarian, and if it looked like there were more vegetarian dishes than meat dishes (especially vegetarian main dishes), then look out, the complaints came fast and furious: "Why are we catering to them? They're in our country, they should be eating what we eat!"

That, and some of the Indian workers were temp, there for 10 days or so, living out of a hotel, and so we didn't expect them to cook anything and of course they were invited, and that wasn't well-received: "I checked the sign-up sheet, and I don't think that guy brought anything, but he's eating! Do something, TastyReuben!"

Even the meat dishes, unless they were good ol' Midwest-friendly things, didn't escape scrutiny. Anything "foreign" largely was left untouched by some of the locals, and they also complained about that.

Barely-disguised prejudice, AFAIC, so we stopped doing them altogether.

You bring up a good point, as cajun food is kinda' like curries. Some people love it (you and me), but a crawfish boil can make some people say, "No thanks." You either like it or you don't. At least with a crawfish boil, there are potatoes, corn and sausage fo the folks who can't stomach eating crawfish.

Here is one of my crawfish boils for those who are unfamiliar with them. Yes, they are live when they go into the boil pot. You have to sort out and discard the dead ones before cooking.

BeachBash2011_081.jpg
DSC_0477.JPG

BTW, any of the curry lovers up for some fresh caught grilled shark? You gotta' go with the small sharks. The big ones taste terrible.

BeachBash2011_039.jpg

BeachBash2011_067.jpg

CD

I'll pass on the shark. Something that urinates through its body tissues just doesn't have any appeal to me, no matter how it's treated.

Yorky, I understand what you wife is talking about. Cumin is a very strong spice. It does add a good flavor, in small amounts, IMO. Too much, and it overpowers every other flavor in a dish. I accidentally used too much cumin in my Texas chili once, and ruined it -- A friend was cooking with me, and said the same thing, "Too much cumin." I had to dump it and start over. Thank goodness I had enough time before guests were arriving.

CD

I use coriander and cumin a LOT. Dry roasted and ground. I make my own Garam masala and tandoori spice mix.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom