Who doesn't like curry?

I love seafood too - no problem with sushi although it wouldn't be top of my list. What are the flavours you are referring to in Japanese food? I'm no expert on that cuisine... I immediately think Wasabi, soy sauce and Yuzu juice.

I am okay with wasabi, I use soy sauce (sparingly), and have no idea what Yuzu juice is. Japanese seafood tends to be more "fishy/briny" than than I like. I prefer a mild, clean taste.

Now, I would NOT turn down a Kobe/Wagyu steak. :okay:

CD

When I ask it, it's because I want to know if I can serve that sort of food to them & they'll appreciate it, or if I'm wondering if they'd like to join me at an Indian, or a Vietnamese, or whatever restaurant.

When I am asked if I like a particular cuisine, I have no problem being honest with my reply. Occasionally, though, I do encounter someone who considers that a challenge to "convert me."

CD

There are a lot of people who get very stuck in their ways about all sorts of things. I remember one place where I worked where some people were going out for a meal and someone booked a table at an Indian restaurant. My boss looked most taken aback - at the age of 48, he'd never had a curry in his life.

The "I wouldn't like it" line always mystifies me. By definition, one must taste everything for the first time at some stage.

And yes, I like curries, if one can use the widely generic term. The best food I've ever had on any holiday (or time spent in other countries) was in Sri Lanka.

People refer to curries as "Indian food," but I think it is actually the official food of the UK. :D

CD

A few years ago, an Indian manager was named to lead the umbrella group that my team fell under at the time, and as such, he went on a company-wide tour, to introduce himself to everyone.

As a gesture of goodwill, he also made a point, instead of springing for the usual doughnuts, muffins, and bagels that we're usually provided at such events, to bring along specially-ordered Indian sweets and treats, just to do something different.

Those went over like a lead balloon. :laugh:

Out of the 30-35 people in the room, exactly two of us tried the snacks - me and my coworker-friend.

People were even telling us, after everything was over, "I can't believe you actually ate that stuff...one of those things looked like it was made from carrots. Carrots! For a candy! Carrots!" :laugh:

A few years ago, an Indian manager was named to lead the umbrella group that my team fell under at the time, and as such, he went on a company-wide tour, to introduce himself to everyone.

As a gesture of goodwill, he also made a point, instead of springing for the usual doughnuts, muffins, and bagels that we're usually provided at such events, to bring along specially-ordered Indian sweets and treats, just to do something different.

Those went over like a lead balloon. :laugh:

Out of the 30-35 people in the room, exactly two of us tried the snacks - me and my coworker-friend.

People were even telling us, after everything was over, "I can't believe you actually ate that stuff...one of those things looked like it was made from carrots. Carrots! For a candy! Carrots!" :laugh:

One thing I miss in retirement is the once or twice yearly pot lucks. We had co workers from around the world .. China, India, Croatia, Ireland... people would bring in quite the variety of foods to share. While some hung back, and took only the "safe" foods, most of us delighted in the variety.

Its so strange to me that some people don't like certain flavours on such a broad scale - I don't think there is any 'category' cuisine I dislike. All flavours are exciting to me and especially, combinations of flavours. I can understand not liking a particular item of food. There are some that I'm not keen on (but will eat). But a whole category of cuisine and flavours puzzles me a bit.
Yes I find it strange too that someone doesn't like an entire cuisine. There are certainly some dishes or ingredients I don't like, and others I'm not keen on, and whilst I can understand someone not liking say seafood, or spicy food, I actually can't see how its possible for someone to say that they don't like a whole style of cuisine.

Curry powder, the generalized stuff we buy at the big market, and what frequently appears in dressed-up chicken salads...that'll turn her stomach just to smell it, so anything that has that hint of curry powder odor, she's not able to tolerate.
I don't particularly like that curry powder either - I find the smell pretty off-putting (in fact there's a very pretty shrub that hubby would love us to grow in the garden: Silver Curry Bush (helichrysum tianshanicum) but it smells just like curry powder so I said no).

But I can't remember the last time I actually used that curry powder - it really isn't something I've seen in many Indian recipes. The only recipe I can think of that uses it is Coronation Chicken - and that is most definitely NOT Indian!

I love a good curry - Indian, Nepalese, Thai, or from anywhere else......I'm willing to give it a try. Its a regular staple of our menu and I keep pureed ginger and garlic, and whole chillies in the freezer, and have a cupboard full of spices which get used depending on the recipe. One of my favourite curries is Butter Chicken (or Butter Chickpeas) - its a rich, creamy tomato-based curry and can be as mild or spicy as you like, and I've yet to find anyone who doesn't like it.

Now that is food prejudice in my book. Indian sweets wouldn't be my choice of snack because they tend to be super sweet and I don't like sweet things in the first place - but I'd certainly eat one or two in that kind of context.

MrsDangermouse, I didn't write off whole categories of cuisine. I am someone who believes in trying things. But, when I try enough things from a particular cuisine, and don't like any of them, I don't really want to keep trying until I find something I like.

My ex-wife and her family loved sushi. We would go to a sushi restaurant, and all I did the whole time was try whatever they put on a plate in front of me. I felt like a lab rat. After about twenty different sushi rolls that I didn't like, I said, "that's enough." Hey, I gave it my best effort, but sushi just doesn't taste good to me.

Now, I love Korean BBQ. But hold the kimchi. There is a bibimbap place near me that I like, too. I like Chinese food, although I realize that the Chinese we get here is Americanized, for the most part. So it is not all Asian food that I don't like.

I've tried several curries, too. None of them were terrible, but "not terrible" is not what I want to eat. As I recall, they all had one spice or another that was over the top. On the spicy curries, the heat overwhelmed the flavor. They were all different, but they all had too much of something.

CD

Last edited:
One of my favourite curries is Butter Chicken (or Butter Chickpeas) - its a rich, creamy tomato-based curry and can be as mild or spicy as you like, and I've yet to find anyone who doesn't like it.

There is a thread from @rascal about that: Butter chicken & @Yorky has a recipe on the forum - Hot Butter Chicken.

If you get a chance, please post up the recipe that you use. Is it the same recipe for Butter Chickpeas but simply subbing the chicken for chickpeas?

There is a thread from @rascal about that: Butter chicken & @Yorky has a recipe on the forum - Hot Butter Chicken.

I also occasionally cook "Hot Butter Prawns". Similar concept. (Similar recipe also).

butter prawns 4 s.jpg

Yorky's recipe for "Hot Butter Chicken" looks good. I would make some adjustments, but I do that with almost every recipe.

I would loose the ginger root chunks, because I don't like ginger. I'm okay with it in small amounts, but not a quarter inch dice. I would also have to ditch the cinnamon. I love cinnamon with sweet foods, but do not like it with savory foods.

If I were to make my own curry, I'd have to make it my way, which would not go over well with the purists. But like I said, I make changes to almost every recipe I cook from.

CD

I would loose the ginger root chunks, because I don't like ginger. I'm okay with it in small amounts, but not a quarter inch dice.

To be fair, it's a 1" cube that's chopped and thereafter liquidised with onion and garlic for approximately six portions so it's not really overpowering.

Yorky, I could probably use ginger that way, although maybe a little less ginger. I love onion and garlic. A little touch of ginger flavor would be okay.

I feel about ginger the way I feel about comino (cumin). Just a touch of those flavors works for me -- it needs to be subtle.

I may give your recipe a try, with my modifications. I think you used chicken breast (not sure about that). Would chicken thigh meat work as well. I prefer thigh meat -- more flavor.

CD

Last edited:
I feel about ginger the way I feel about comino (cumin). Just a touch of those flavors works for me -- it needs to be subtle.

Strangely enough my wife does not like any dish that has more than a touch of cumin in it, whole or ground.

Yorky, I understand what you wife is talking about. Cumin is a very strong spice. It does add a good flavor, in small amounts, IMO. Too much, and it overpowers every other flavor in a dish. I accidentally used too much cumin in my Texas chili once, and ruined it -- A friend was cooking with me, and said the same thing, "Too much cumin." I had to dump it and start over. Thank goodness I had enough time before guests were arriving.

CD

Back
Top Bottom