Who is having pancakes today?

One more thing: I'm not sure if it's celebrated anywhere else but in Michigan (unless you're of Polish descent), but here we call the day before Lent Paczki Day. Detroit has a large Polish population, and the rest of us have happily gone along with the tradition. They do look a lot like jelly donuts, but they're richer, if you can imagine that. Each one is a bomb of grease and sugar that will make you happy and regretful at the same time.

north-olmsted-paczki2jpg-191bcb084b740287.jpg

Aaaand...here we see another difference between English and US interpretations of a food. I wondered why @Yorky and @SatNavSaysStraightOn rolled them up...they look quite a lot like crepes. Then, I wondered how they rolled them up: if you tried to roll an American pancake, it would certainly break.

It comes down to leavening: the American version uses baking powder (and sometimes also whipped egg whites), whereas the English one doesn't:

Crepe-Pancake-Split-Header-ImageNaggingQuestion.png

Pancakes very nearly became the Dish of the Month for March. If we do this as a cook-along, I'd like to try both methods.

Oh...and, as to the question? Now you're making me want to make pancakes. :cook:

Do you flip your flapjacks? :cook:

Ahhhhh, pancakes. It's like the mothership is calling me home. Lol

Aaaand...here we see another difference between English and US interpretations of a food. I wondered why @Yorky and @SatNavSaysStraightOn rolled them up...they look quite a lot like crepes. Then, I wondered how they rolled them up: if you tried to roll an American pancake, it would certainly break.

It comes down to leavening: the American version uses baking powder (and sometimes also whipped egg whites), whereas the English one doesn't:

Crepe-Pancake-Split-Header-ImageNaggingQuestion.png

Pancakes very nearly became the Dish of the Month for March. If we do this as a cook-along, I'd like to try both methods.

Oh...and, as to the question? Now you're making me want to make pancakes. :cook:
American pancakes look far more like drop scones or pikelets (as they are known in my family) to me.
Recipe and pictures can be found here . Served with butter on them or as is.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pikelets-or-drop-scones.1173/

My 46 year old colleague asked what pancake day was all about :facepalm:

We don't bother. We have been at work all day so just want a proper meal and not faff.

All the pictures on here look delicious :happy:

By accidental good timing we had buckwheat pancake batter left over from Sunday breakfast - enough for two pancakes anyway. These were filled with beef chilli, defrosted from the freezer, rolled up and covered in grated cheese (fajita style) before baking in the oven. Dressed with fresh coriander, tomato salsa and sour cream they made a quick but delicious mid week supper dish. Sorry, no photos.

Some of my colleagues made them last night so we have been shown some very interesting pictures, 1 guy put a lot of fruit on his, looked good, his son did bacon with maple syrup, a couple did with traditional lemon 1 with orange...

I haven't had any in years..maybe 1 day.

By accidental good timing we had buckwheat pancake batter left over from Sunday breakfast - enough for two pancakes anyway.
After many, many years of expecting to have pancakes with all purpose flour, I'm full on-board with buckwheat...the slight nuttiness is magical in a pancake. To me, it's so good that I hardly need anything else with it (though I do still appreciate a syrup).

I do like your idea of making a savory pancake.

One more thing: I'm not sure if it's celebrated anywhere else but in Michigan (unless you're of Polish descent), but here we call the day before Lent Paczki Day. Detroit has a large Polish population, and the rest of us have happily gone along with the tradition. They do look a lot like jelly donuts, but they're richer, if you can imagine that. Each one is a bomb of grease and sugar that will make you happy and regretful at the same time.

north-olmsted-paczki2jpg-191bcb084b740287.jpg

According to my Polish colleague, last Thursday was 'fat Thursday' where Polish people gorge on doughnuts similar to these. He works in our other branch, they indulge-I will need to have a chat with the guys here.

Most of the thin pancakes pictured here, are what we call crepes. There used to be a creperie called The Magic Pan. You could watch the chefs making the crepes on huge drums (?). The crepes were filled w everything from savory, like creamed chicken or spinach souffle, to sweet, berries & whipped cream or chocolate sauce. Delightful. Much more elegant and classy than heavy pancakes w bacon and eggs.

From memory, I would order a savory main dish crepe, carafe of white wine. Spinach and Mandarin orange salad, and sweet fruity or ice cream crepe for dessert.

Last edited:
After many, many years of expecting to have pancakes with all purpose flour, I'm full on-board with buckwheat...the slight nuttiness is magical in a pancake. To me, it's so good that I hardly need anything else with it (though I do still appreciate a syrup).

I do like your idea of making a savory pancake.
The buckwheat gives a better texture too. It's also gluten free for those with a gluten aversion.

I can't wait to get back to & stay in my apt and be able to cook!! One thing on the menu IS pancakes!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom