Who uses a flour sifter?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
5:56 AM
I used to use the one above. Now I use one of the ones below. You get the same results!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Yeah, I use a sieve though I'd not bother with the bottom one of the 3, that's best left to catching tea leaves!
That’s exactly what I do with mine little one. I use it enough that I have two, because one is always dirty.

I used to have one of those top sifters, but pulling the handle continually really aggravated my hand, and it always made an annoying squeaky noise.

That’s exactly what I do with mine little one. I use it enough that I have two, because one is always dirty.

I used to have one of those top sifters, but pulling the handle continually really aggravated my hand, and it always made an annoying squeaky noise.
I have 3 sizes of sieves.
The smallest one for tea leaves or lemon juice (removing lemon pips! )... the other 2 depend on what volume of what I'm either draining or sieving as to which one I use.

....and (b) sifting out big bits of spice when I´m making garam masala.

I'll need to try that. Whenever I'm grinding cardamoms or dried red chillis I end up with bits of the "husk" which I usually painstakingly remove with my fingers.

I'll need to try that. Whenever I'm grinding cardamoms or dried red chillis I end up with bits of the "husk" which I usually painstakingly remove with my fingers.
Yep - I once made some garam masala as gifts for cooking courses, and used a load of spices. As I sieved out the powder, I was left with loads of "bits" - which went back into the spice blender several times until I´d ground up almost everything.

I have to say that I can't recall the last time I sieved flour...
I've never ever sieved flour. My mom did back in the 70s when she baked cakes. I do own the 3 sieves, though, and they have various uses. The little one is good for sifting out the large particles from homemade almond milk to get it into the narrow opening of the bottle/container I keep it in.

What are you using sifted flour for, anyone?

I've never ever sieved flour. My mom did back in the 70s when she baked cakes. I do own the 3 sieves, though, and they have various uses. The little one is good for sifting out the large particles from homemade almond milk to get it into the narrow opening of the bottle/container I keep it in.

I sift flour for batter (pancake, Yorkshire puddings, deep fry) and for béchamel sauce.

I’ll do it to get any little lumps out, or if I’m concerned with getting any other ingredients distributed a little more finely.

I’ll also sift cocoa powder and confectioner’s sugar to get the lumps out.

I’ll do it to get any little lumps out, or if I’m concerned with getting any other ingredients distributed a little more finely.

I’ll also sift cocoa powder and confectioner’s sugar to get the lumps out.
I get the other stuff but the flour never looks lumpy to me.

Back
Top Bottom