Why do seafood have so many different names for the same thing?

I didn't realize that was Italian, I just thought good.

Scampi are Norway Bay Lobsters. They are from the Nephrops Norvegicus Species. They are called Zigala in Italiano and Cigala in Spanish, in French, Langoustines. They are sort of a cross between a crayfish and a prawn. In Catalan, we call them, "Es car mar la".

The Shrimp dish called Shrimp Scampi is an Italian American dish by name, not Italiano as in Italia. Shrimp dishes in Italy, have other names. Shrimp are "Gamberi". For example: Risotto con Gamberi Rossi (Risotto with Red Shrimp).

Names, history and geography of foods and also languages are very fascinating.

Have a lovely evening. Already 22.10 here.

Last edited:
I thought this thread might clear some things up, but it has only made it worse. Please stop, Franny.

Scampi is more of a preparation, there are no measurements of longitude in cm, etc., etc..

Last edited:
I thought this thread might clear some things up, but it has only made it worse. Please stop, Franny.

Scampi is a preparation, there are no measurements of longitude in cm, etc., etc..

This thread itself is a delightful minefield. You are both right! Scampi can mean a particular seafood such as Dublin Bay Prawns or it can mean a preparation. It depends on where you live and cultural/language differences. In the UK if you order scampi in a pub then you get something 'fishy' fried in breadcrumbs. But in some parts here it also means Dublin Bay Prawns. These little jobs:

langoustines.jpg

The word scampi comes from a Greek word that means curvature.

Everything else came after. But every Italian that I've ever known would not call any mini lobster type creature a scampi, unless it was going to he prepared that way.

That makes all the difference in real knowledge. The gist of what this thread is about.

The word scampi comes from a Greek word that means curvature.

Everything else came after. But every Italian that I've ever known would not call any mini lobster type creature a scampi, unless it was going to he prepared that way.

That makes all the difference in real knowledge. The gist of what this thread is about.
According to the Collins English Dictionary, "Scampi are large prawns, often served fried in breadcrumbs [mainly British]", and shrimps are "small shellfish with long tails and many legs." We used to feed shrimps to the koi.

The only time I've ever seen sea bass was on the beach at Clacton (an Essex seaside resort). They were all thrashing about in a couple of inches of water. Didn't need to go far to go fishing that day :laugh:. My sister's friend used to catch huge cod not far from the beach at Clacton too. Some of them used to land in my sister's freezer :giggle:

The best and the largest of Mediterranean Prawns are the: Crevettes in both French and English. Some people call them " Red Prawns " ..

In Spanish these are called: Carabineros ..

Their Latin Name is: Aristeidae - Aristeus Antennatus ..

They are most commonly found, in Cadiz, on the Atlantic Mediterranean confluence in Andalusia and also on the Mediterranean coast of southern France.

During Christmas time, these cost approximately 60 Euros a kilo .. However, during the spring season, one can find them for 10 Euros a kilo ..

These are simply prepared by sauté-ing in a bit of Evoo, for 1.5 minutes - 2 minutes per side .. They have a very sweetly sublime, exquisitely refined taste and profile in texture ..

carabinerosonice20170124_113736.jpg

Seafood platter..png

You can add Seafood Tsunami to the list, which technically. is also called Fisherman's Platter or Seafood Platter.

It usually is a lot of fried seafood such as clams, fileted haddock, scallops,& shrimp placed on a bed of fries or onion rings. It usually comes with cole slaw as well.

Back
Top Bottom