Recipe & Video Wine and Mango Slushie (Slurpee)

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
5:44 AM
Really simple recipe...though admittedly took me a few tries to get the recipe right.

Recipe

Ingredients

1 large, or two small ripe mangoes (peeled and flesh cut in to chunks)
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp amchur (dried green mango powder)

Method

Place all ingredients in a processer and blend till smooth. Pour liquid in to ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Use a stick blender to process frozen cubes in to a thick frozen treat similiar to a granita consistency, and spoon in to serving size glasses. Garnish as desired (I used strips of pandan leaves).

View: https://youtu.be/sVGtXNG95Zw

Last edited:
6294437d-e7a6-4071-8446-29dab70d9cb1-jpeg.jpg

First, an explanation of what's pictured. I have a set of drinking glasses (and decanter) with an image of the globe etched into them. I made a point of rotating the glass to show a certain island-continent, and the realized that the slushie obscures the land masses. So, I placed the empty one next to it for reference.

My mangoes were small and soft, but not as sweet as I normally have with larger mangos. The flesh was yellow and tart, which turned out to be a good thing. I happen to like sour overtones in a mixed drink, so this worked.

Maybe I should have let the "mango cubes" melt a bit after freezing: the consistency post-freeze-and-blending was too chunky. I gave up trying to use a straw after a few tries, and switched to a spoon. As it sat, it did melt and start to resemble the consistency of yours, and I could use a straw better. But, a spoon is still my weapon of choice for this, since the straw was still too much work (maybe I needed a larger diameter straw?)

The bottom line, though, is the flavor, and this really worked. I didn't have amchur, but as it turns out, I think I ended up with basically what you made: amchur imparts a tartness, and I had that with my mangoes.

Most interesting is that I forgot I was drinking the equivalent of a glass of wine, because the elements blend together so perfectly. The time you spent getting the balance right was time well-spent.

Another use: awesome ice cubes! These work well if you have a mixed drink (say a whiskey sour) that you want to keep cool. And, as it thaws, it gradually becomes this excellent drink.

A simple recipe that I will certainly make again.

Last edited:
View attachment 58417

First, an explanation of what's pictured. I have a set of drinking glasses (and decanter) with an image of the globe etched into them. I made a point of rotating the glass to show a certain island-continent, and the realized that the slushie obscures the land masses. So, I placed the empty one next to it for reference.

My mangoes were small and soft, but not as sweet as I normally have with larger mangos. The flesh was yellow and tart, which turned out to be a good thing. I happen to like sour overtones in a mixed drink, so this worked.

Maybe I should have let the "mango cubes" melt a bit after freezing: the consistency post-freeze-and-blending was too chunky. I gave up trying to use a straw after a few tries, and switched to a spoon. As it sat, it did melt and start to resemble the consistency of yours, and I could use a straw better. But, a spoon is still my weapon of choice for this, since the straw was still too much work (maybe I needed a larger diameter straw?)

The bottom line, though, is the flavor, and this really worked. I didn't have amchur, but as it turns out, I think I ended up with basically what you made: amchur imparts a tartness, and I had that with my mangoes.

Most interesting is that I forgot I was drinking the equivalent of a glass of wine, because the elements blend together so perfectly. The time you spent getting the balance right was time well-spent.

Another use: awesome ice cubes! These work well if you have a mixed drink (say a whiskey sour) that you want to keep cool. And, as it thaws, it gradually becomes this excellent drink.

A simple recipe that I will certainly make again.
Thanks for that, and love the globe positioning!! Whilst I wouldn't call this recipe ground breaking, it was one I was really pleased with and have just this minute had another serving. That's a real benefit, you can make up a big batch, freeze it, and then just pull out enough frozen cubes when/as needed.

My mangoes were super sweet, and I'm no scientist but I believe there needs to be a reasonable ratio of sugar in the mix to get the ice to behave "slurpee" like. Which is why I added a little more, but it definitely needed offsetting with the amchur. If that didn't work, was going to try lemon or lime juice, and even pondered about adding a little tamarind. Anyway, was happy enough with the version as above both taste wise and texturally, so let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks for setting an interesting challenge in your choice of wine as an ingredient, and your commitment on the topic with really great feedback.

My only concern is you are setting the bar waaaay too high for future judges.

But seriously, cheers mate!!

Thanks for setting an interesting challenge in your choice of wine as an ingredient, and your commitment on the topic with really great feedback.

My only concern is you are setting the bar waaaay too high for future judges.

But seriously, cheers mate!!

This one was a real pleasure. I'm hoping I have inspired future judges in some way, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom