Wine from off the beaten track

Duck59

Guru
Local time
12:39 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
We're used to seeing French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, South African and American (North and South) wine on the shelves of supermarkets and off licences, but what about those myriad other places that produce the juice of the grape?

I've been fortunate enough to have visited quite a lot of countries and while I am a beer lover, I usually manage to fit in the odd glass or two of the local wine.

There are quite a number of countries in Eastern Europe that produce delightful wines. Moldova and Romania turn out some of the best around. Croatian wine is also very good, often similar in style to Hungarian. Another place that produces wine of very high quality is Georgia - while I have never visited that country, I tasted some lovely Georgian wine in Russia.

There are also unexpected places for wine; I had some very pleasant wine in Tunisia, locally produced, and Ethiopia also has its own wine, though perhaps not of such high quality.

Has anyone come across any interesting wine, particular of the unexpected variety?

Not really, but i would be interested in trying them. Over here we have a fair amount of Australian wines, but Yellowtail is probably the most well known, and something that is quite tasty. It is probably Australia's budget wine, but I think it has a decent flavor. I have also tried wines from Israel I think. Italian wines are the most prevalent over here, next to California's.

Back
Top Bottom