Wooden Cutting Boards - Use And Care

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:22 PM
Here's my main wooden cutting board:

One size for prepping (with a waste channel), and the other side for carving, with the indentation good for holding a whole chicken. I use the prep side for everything except raw meat; veggies, fruit, herbs, and garlic.

One thing I'm always fighting is keeping it odor/flavor free. I wash it after every onion/garlic session (so pretty much every day), and I whenever I have spent lemons, I'll rub those over it. I also occasionally treat it with vinegar, and sometimes with a baking soda-water paste. In the way of routine maintenance, I also oil it frequently.

Even with all that, I can always detect, at best, a slight sharp odor, due to the onion and garlic work.

Curious if that's the experience if everyone else on here who use a wooden board?

I remember as a kid, going to my great-grandparents' house, and and great-grandmom had a big freestanding butcher block in the middle of the kitchen. She used it for everything, including raw meat, and just washed it down at the end of the night. I don't remember if there was any odor or not. I was too busy eating fried chicken. :)

I’ve had mine about 10 years now. After each use I wash it with hot soapy water, rinse off and wipe it down using antibacterial spray. About every 3 months I give it a good coating of mineral oil, let it sink in and then wipe of the residue. I have never noticed any smell from it, even after prepping fish. Just weighed It, 24lb!:D

I use plastic ones for food prep but that is mainly because I can pop them in the dishwasher which sterilises them. I do have one long narrow wooden board which I use for French bread sometimes and occasionally in food photos.

When I went to Holland to finish an installation in the De vries shipyard (they manufacture Feadship yachts), I was given a tour of their facility. I walked through a storage/aging area that had a million dollars worth of teak. Most decking on mega yachts (70 + meters) are teak.

When I went to Holland to finish an installation in the De vries shipyard (they manufacture Feadship yachts), I was given a tour of their facility. I walked through a storage/aging area that had a million dollars worth of teak. Most decking on mega yachts (70 + meters) are teak.
Speaking about teak prices - I went to the maker's site - $110 and sold out. Went to Amazon, $135. Did a little digging and found it at another place for $99, with a $5 off coupon, and free 1-3 day shipping.

18-in X 24-in, 15 lbs. I should have plenty of room on this one.

Now I've got to get it good and oiled up. With a new board, I follow the old adage, "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and as needed after that."

TastyReuben - so, the type of board you have there is a flat grain cutting board as I like to call them. It's probably a large reason for why you are getting odor smells, an end-grain cutting board (or butcher block as some call) due to the tighter grain would be less likely to absorb any smells. Also, do you dry it immediately after washing?

Generally speaking, when a wood cutting board gets gouges or cuts in it you'll start to notice smells more frequently. Even that being the case I would still highly recommend wood over plastic, plastic boards are great *until* you get a gouge in them...then you've got all kinds of places for bacteria to nest in whereas with wood due to the open grain the bacteria travels into the wood until it is essentially trapped+dies.

What I apply to the cutting boards we make, and what we recommend people treat them with, is our "SpoonButta" - it's basically a perfect blend of olive oil, vinegar, beeswax and a couple of other essential oils (mainly orange). The beeswax acts as a sealer and also helps to prevent smells from absorbing into the wood. You can make your own at home if you can find a bit of beeswax somewhere, the ratio is essentially 4 parts oil to 1 part wax + probably a drop of essential oil at most. You have to melt it down (160 degree's about) and mix it thoroughly with the oils then let it solidify. It should come out as an easily spreadable "buttery" substance and a board like that would probably need a dime-quarter size monthly. Given that you mentioned daily use I would highly recommend continued monthly oiling as that's a lot of washing/drying of the board. Exposing it to continued repeated moisture, drying, etc. without re-applying an oil regularly could definitely cause it to crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom