Worcester sauce.......

Discussion in 'Herbs, Spices, Dressings, Sauces and Dips' started by rascal, 17 May 2019.

Tags:
  1. rascal

rascal Über Member

do you use a lot of it. I use about between 5 to 10 litres a year. It seems you either love it or loath it. I have a Texan friend who detests it and calls it worst ever sauce,lol. I use it in stews casseroles sausage rolls sauces all sorts of things. There's a you tube article about how it came about. By sheer accident. The doco says they sell more to the USA than the uk. There's a factory in the states for the murican market.
    Do you like it?
    Russ

2. TodayInTheKitchen

TodayInTheKitchen Active Member

I use it frequently. In my kitchen, red meat = worcester sauce.

3. Shermie

Shermie Veteran

4. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

We mostly use purchased, but also make it for use in our BBQ shrimp recipe since it is not as good if you don't use the homemade. I actually prefer the homemade, but it's a PITA to make and quite time consuming so it is used only for special dishes.

5. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

I may use around 500 ml per year.

6. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I use it a lot - both neat on things such as cheese on toast (including Welsh Rarebit) or fried eggs. But I also use i quite often in stews and casserole dishes. Its 'umami' flavour works well in all sorts of stews - particularly beef.

I probably get through a few bottles a year but 5 to 10 litres is an enormous amount. :eek: I'm wondering if the sauce in NZ is much milder as with Lea and Perrins, a little goes a very long way.

7. Yorky

Bejasus, that's more than my beer intake!

Well, not quite.

8. Were I to make a list of things I must have in my kitchen, I wouldn't include Worcestershire sauce. But, I keep finding myself needing it when I make salad dressings (especially Caesar), sauces (like remoulades), and things like salmon cakes. So, while I could probably live without it, I do find that it makes enough things better that I wouldn't want to.

TodayInTheKitchen and Shermie like this.
  9. Shermie

Shermie Veteran

It is a must-have with me also! I mainly use it to make some bbq sauce. It wakes up the flavor in a lot of things! The possibilities are endless!! :wink:

TodayInTheKitchen and rascal like this.
  10. rascal

rascal Über Member

I too use in BBQ sauce and my garlic sauce.

Russ

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.
  11. morning glory

I thought you wouldn't eat anchovies @Shermie. :) You know it has anchovies in it? That's what gives it the unique umami flavour.

12. Yorky

I also dislike anchovies but enjoy Worcestershire sauce. Don't know why.

13. morning glory

Most people like anchovy if added judiciously as a seasoning - in the past I've often secreted anchovies into sauces and stews (they dissolve) and served to avowed anchovy haters - who have loved the food. Its a bit like Marmite - it you eat a neat teaspoon of it or slather it on bread too thickly its very salty and overpowering. But add a teaspoon to a beef stew and you will have Marmite haters loving it.

Both Marmite and anchovy contain that special 'umami' flavour.

14. ...if they don't know that's what it is. :laugh: It's salt, which most people like, and umami, which everyone likes (even if they can't quite put their finger on it). When people think of anchovies, they think this:

anchovy_pesto_pasta_arneis_rivetti_20140219_48.jpg

They get scared of the slimy little "worms" (as I've heard people call them) and they want no part of them. But, I know a lot of anchovy-haters who love Caesar salad dressing, which contains anchovies.

15. Shermie

Shermie Veteran

Well, only if they are mixed with something else to offset the saltiness.