Worcester sauce.......

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:37 AM
do you use a lot of it. I use about between 5 to 10 litres a year. It seems you either love it or loath it. I have a Texan friend who detests it and calls it worst ever sauce,lol. I use it in stews casseroles sausage rolls sauces all sorts of things. There's a you tube article about how it came about. By sheer accident. The doco says they sell more to the USA than the uk. There's a factory in the states for the murican market.
Do you like it?
Russ

do you use a lot of it. I use about between 5 to 10 litres a year. It seems you either love it or loath it. I have a Texan friend who detests it and calls it worst ever sauce,lol. I use it in stews casseroles sausage rolls sauces all sorts of things. There's a you tube article about how it came about. By sheer accident. The doco says they sell more to the USA than the uk. There's a factory in the states for the murican market.
Do you like it?
Russ
I use it frequently. In my kitchen, red meat = worcester sauce.

I use it a lot - both neat on things such as cheese on toast (including Welsh Rarebit) or fried eggs. But I also use i quite often in stews and casserole dishes. Its 'umami' flavour works well in all sorts of stews - particularly beef.

I use about between 5 to 10 litres a year.

I probably get through a few bottles a year but 5 to 10 litres is an enormous amount. :eek: I'm wondering if the sauce in NZ is much milder as with Lea and Perrins, a little goes a very long way.

Were I to make a list of things I must have in my kitchen, I wouldn't include Worcestershire sauce. But, I keep finding myself needing it when I make salad dressings (especially Caesar), sauces (like remoulades), and things like salmon cakes. So, while I could probably live without it, I do find that it makes enough things better that I wouldn't want to.

I also dislike anchovies but enjoy Worcestershire sauce. Don't know why.

Most people like anchovy if added judiciously as a seasoning - in the past I've often secreted anchovies into sauces and stews (they dissolve) and served to avowed anchovy haters - who have loved the food. Its a bit like Marmite - it you eat a neat teaspoon of it or slather it on bread too thickly its very salty and overpowering. But add a teaspoon to a beef stew and you will have Marmite haters loving it.

Both Marmite and anchovy contain that special 'umami' flavour.

Most people like anchovy if added judiciously as a seasoning
...if they don't know that's what it is. :laugh: It's salt, which most people like, and umami, which everyone likes (even if they can't quite put their finger on it). When people think of anchovies, they think this:

anchovy_pesto_pasta_arneis_rivetti_20140219_48.jpg

They get scared of the slimy little "worms" (as I've heard people call them) and they want no part of them. But, I know a lot of anchovy-haters who love Caesar salad dressing, which contains anchovies.

Back
Top Bottom