Worcestershire Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:50 AM
I hardly use any ready made sauces, but Worcestershire Sauce (sometimes called Worcester Sauce) is an exception. I use it in casseroles, stews, on cheese on toast, in curry... and probably lots of other things. Its one of those British products that is known across the world.

The first bottles of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce went on sale in 1838. It is still manufactured in Worcester until this day (although it is now owned by Heinz). To this day, the recipe remains a closely guarded secret and only a privileged few know the exact ingredients. To protect the sauce from other imitators, the famous Lea & Perrins® signature was put on the label of the bottle, as it appears today.

Do you use it? What do you use it for?

article-1224736-070E6F1F000005DC-769_233x423.jpg

Heinz is no longer it's own company. Now owned by Berkshire Hathaway
"On February 14, 2013, Heinz agreed to be purchased by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital for $23 billion. On March 25, 2015, Kraft announced its merger with Heinz, arranged by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital. The resulting Kraft Heinz Company is the fifth largest food company in the world. Berkshire Hathaway became a majority owner of Heinz on June 18, 2015. After exercising a warrant to acquire 46,195,652 shares of common stock for a total price of $461,956.52, Berkshire increased its stake to 52.5%. The companies completed the merger on July 2, 2015."

"On February 14, 2013, Heinz agreed to be purchased by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital for $23 billion. On March 25, 2015, Kraft announced its merger with Heinz, arranged by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital. The resulting Kraft Heinz Company is the fifth largest food company in the world. Berkshire Hathaway became a majority owner of Heinz on June 18, 2015. After exercising a warrant to acquire 46,195,652 shares of common stock for a total price of $461,956.52, Berkshire increased its stake to 52.5%. The companies completed the merger on July 2, 2015."
Oh gosh! Didn't know that. But at least they haven't changed the recipe or the label. Yet.

I hardly use any ready made sauces, but Worcestershire Sauce (sometimes called Worcester Sauce) is an exception. I use it in casseroles, stews, on cheese on toast, in curry... and probably lots of other things. Its one of those British products that is known across the world.

The first bottles of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce went on sale in 1838. It is still manufactured in Worcester until this day (although it is now owned by Heinz). To this day, the recipe remains a closely guarded secret and only a privileged few know the exact ingredients. To protect the sauce from other imitators, the famous Lea & Perrins® signature was put on the label of the bottle, as it appears today.

Do you use it? What do you use it for?

View attachment 2673

Yes I use it on occasion.

It is one of the chief ingredients used in making BBQ sauce, which I often like to make from scratch! :wink:

Last edited:
Not a big user splash in a Bloody Mary, splash in a mayonnaise sauce based dressing,glug in a homemade ketchup ,saw this brief description the other day made me grin
A classic English bottled sauce from the 19th century, when strongly flavoured sauces were used to hide a multitude of sins. It's a thin, spicy, dark-brown fermented sauce made from a variety of ingredients including anchovies, shallots, garlic, soy sauce, tamarind, salt and vinegar, which is then left to age in barrels.
I've seen a friend splash it all other his food like ketchup

One of my favourite condiments. I use it in many brown sauces or gravies as well as splashed in soups.

Goes well with beef in particular although adds dimensions to poultry and game too. I also like a dash of it over lasagne or chilli con carne when it is served. It's good in bloody marys or plain tomato juice too.

Adds depth to marie rose sauce (can you tell I cooked in the 1980's?) or thousand island dressing.

I enjoy it so much I can even drink a mouthful of it out of the bottle. Really good taste and Lea and Perrins brand is a quality product.

One of my favourite condiments. I use it in many brown sauces or gravies as well as splashed in soups.

Goes well with beef in particular although adds dimensions to poultry and game too. I also like a dash of it over lasagne or chilli con carne when it is served. It's good in bloody marys or plain tomato juice too.

Adds depth to marie rose sauce (can you tell I cooked in the 1980's?) or thousand island dressing.

I enjoy it so much I can even drink a mouthful of it out of the bottle. Really good taste and Lea and Perrins brand is a quality product.
Now I'm craving a Bloody Mary! I put Tabasco in that too.

So ? The world moves on - if the recipe stays the same and the taste stays the same does it matter who owns who ?
Use it on cheese on toast mostly - very nice too

So ? The world moves on - if the recipe stays the same and the taste stays the same does it matter who owns who ?
Use it on cheese on toast mostly - very nice too
And if production is moved abroad?

A lot of these co's are often selling themselves out to other co's. Look what has happened with Budweiser. They are now owned by a beer co. in Germany, even though Bud still makes beer in THIS country.

You hardly see Wesson now, which was previously owned by Hunt. Lea & Perrins makes Worcestershire sauce, but I'm willing to bet that it makes the same thing for others, or vise versa.

It can at times, be referred to as Changing of the Guards, where co's change hands with other co's. That has been going on for many years with the major appliance industry. :headshake::stop:

Kraft, the same company that bought out Cadbury here in the UK. A generations old company founded by Quakers who really cared for their workers. Kraft promised the UK government they would continue that practise then after aquiring the company they reneged on all of their promises and moved production out of the UK to Poland and made thousands of UK employees redundant. B*******s. And our ever so useful government did exactly what they always do when facing up to a foreign multinational corporation - rolled over and did nothing. Sorry, rant over, but I will now think twice next time I go to buy Worcestershire sauce.

So if anyone knows an alternative from a more ethical supplier. ...

Last edited:
I have it on hand and use it occasionally. in my homemade barbecue sauce, Blue cheese butter, remoulade sauce, a few beef stew type recipes, homemade sloppy joes, meatloaf, etc. My brother in law puts it on his steaks and burgers as he grills them.

I have it on hand and use it occasionally. in my homemade barbecue sauce, Blue cheese butter, remoulade sauce, a few beef stew type recipes, homemade sloppy joes, meatloaf, etc. My brother in law puts it on his steaks and burgers as he grills them.

It is very versatile, and it is one of the favorite staples in the kitchen that greatly enhances whatever it is used in! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom