Wrap, Burrito or Egg Roll?

If the Governot of Texas had his wish (well, what he says in public), and every illegal immigrant in Texas were deported, most restaurants in Texas would be out of business. :laugh:
Yep.Heard that story before. In the UK (under the same principle), there would be no public transport.
In Venezuela, there would be no-one to do house-cleaning, cooking, etc.

...and what about quesadillas? they're not wrapped, but inside there's the same filling?
Strictly speaking a "quesadilla" should contain "queso" (cheese). But practically speaking, it´s a tortilla, with some sort of filling, either doubled over on the grill or, complemented by another tortilla on top - which is then flipped over so both sides are "grilled".

Yep.Heard that story before. In the UK (under the same principle), there would be no public transport.
In Venezuela, there would be no-one to do house-cleaning, cooking, etc.
In italy nobody would pick up tomatoes, olives...all those that must be done by hand

In italy nobody would pick up tomatoes, olives...all those that must be done by hand

Oh you could import Australians on foodie holidays to have a real Italian experience of picking the tomato then bottling passatta.

Same for olives & olive oil.

People would pay to come. So long as there is authentic Italian food involved.

Oh you could import Australians on foodie holidays to have a real Italian experience of picking the tomato then bottling passatta.

Same for olives & olive oil.

People would pay to come. So long as there is authentic Italian food involved.
🤣
I think once they tried, they would never ask for it again...

This question came up on this month's What Did You Cook Today thread: what's the difference between a wrap and a burrito? Both have a thin, bread-based exterior, and both can have a variety of fillings. To me, they differ as follows:

Where would you list my (wife's) spring roll samosas?

They look fantastic.

The term “egg roll” is always confusing to me.

Is there egg in spring roll pastry? There’s no such thing as an egg filling that I know of. The Lebanese make one with cheese which is pretty far from the Asian style ones but still, no egg

Me, I'm partial to Vietnamese summer rolls. No frying involved whatsoever! They don't fall under any of the original three categories listed here. The wrap is made of rice. I've seen a few Vietnamese SPRING rolls done without frying the rice roll. Also, I love this,

Quesadillas are quesadillas. Served hot/warm with oozy cheese! Not wraps, not burritos. Certainly, not egg rolls!

Although now I am hankering for a good burrito! A valid Mexican or Tex-Mex style - served hot!!!

I would regard a wrap as a round sandwich...usually with fresh, raw ingredients to accompany the main protein. Usually coldish..with one open end.
A Burrito would be a warm item with cooked ingredients inside with two tucked in ends..

But, I'm a few thousand miles from a real Burrito so, what do I know?

If you asked for an egg roll in the UK you would probably get either a bread roll (buttered) with sliced hard-boiled egg inside or a bread roll with a fried egg inside. What I think you would call a sandwich in the US?

If you asked for an egg roll in the UK you would probably get either a bread roll (buttered) with sliced hard-boiled egg inside or a bread roll with a fried egg inside. What I think you would call a sandwich in the US?
Is this true if you ask for one in a Chinese restaurant in the UK????

I laugh when I remember my visit to Wakefield to visit my son. He was ordering Chinese Food on the speaker phone. Naturally, the person had a heavy Chinese accent who obviously learned English in Northern England..my son, with a heavy Canadian(Ottawa Valley) accent trying to pronounce English(British) words with a Chinese accent. The difference and nuance of the conversation was surreal. They were both speaking English and neither could understand the other..Worthy of a comedy sketch....I got it on video with my phone..it took him about 15 minutes to order..lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom