Wrap, Burrito or Egg Roll?

...quick check. I looked at a few menus (no mention) and I honestly can never remember seeing them on a Chinese menu when I used to go to restaurants (pre Covid). I think they are American Chinese so not a traditional Chinese thing in China or the UK.

I like burritos, I like egg rolls, but I generally don’t like wraps, and around here, it’s been the trend to wrap anything and everything in a 🤬 flour tortilla and call it a wrap. I’m half-expecting to find a chicken noodle soup wrap one of these days.

Increasingly, the trend is happening here. I personally don't like wraps of any sort (too much bread stuff, too informal and/or too messy to eat).
I like very thin wraps, like flour tortillas. Not my 1st choice generally but I'll eat them.

Ooh, Chimichanga!!!
Yeah, delicious, depending on who is making it. There is one restaurant here that makes them well with thin, crispy shell and delicious filings, but I have been to a few where they were pasty, soggy, thick pieces of dough wrapper, more dough than contents (and the contents were bland). Bleck.

Where I live, these two words have very different meanings and if you ask for one and someone gives you the other, you're going to be disappointed. A "wrap" around here is a variation of a typical deli sandwich, only instead of being between slices of bread, its wrapped up in some kind of flatbread. You can pretty much take any sandwich and convert it to a wrap just by changing what kind of starch is used to hold it together. Just like a sandwich, its fillings may be hot or cold.

A "burrito" on the other hand is very specifically something Mexican or Tex-Mex. It's typically folded (rather than wrapped) and so it's closed on all sides. If you cut one in half, yes one side is open, but its still a different shape versus a rolled wrap.

I make breakfast "burritos" occasionally that have absolutely nothing Tex-Mex inside (eggs, cheese, bacon). The only thing that makes them a burrito is the flour tortilla. I know some people like to put salsa inside but I don't like tomato products with eggs.

I make breakfast "burritos" occasionally that have absolutely nothing Tex-Mex inside (eggs, cheese, bacon). The only thing that makes them a burrito is the flour tortilla. I know some people like to put salsa inside but I don't like tomato products with eggs.
I make those a lot, though I do include the salsa. I love tomatoes and eggs!

If you go to a real taqueria down here, or in the Southwest, you can get some good Mexican breakfast burritos. Instead of breakfast sausage, they will often have chorizo (Mexican type) or Machaca, a seasoned pork or beef mixture that is often accompanied by eggs in some form. If you go to a good taqueria, they may or may not speak English, but the food will be good.

CD

Back
Top Bottom