The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:14 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
33671954-b292-4f3f-9b00-21ee1deb4acc-jpeg.jpg

I swear I wanted to use yams in the proper sense, but I couldn’t find them. Every supermarket in United States carries a variety of potatoes, including russet, and sweet potatoes. But, no proper yams. I didn’t feel like searching specialty markets to find them, so I went ahead using the American terminology.

Ingredients

2 ears sweet corn, cooked
1 pound yams, peeled, skins reserved
1 teaspoon oil
20 ounces baby clams, juices reserved
1 cup clam juice
1 tablespoon bacon grease
1 red onion
1/2 cup carrots
2 teaspoons thyme, divided
2 tablespoons chives, diced
1 cup milk
salt to taste

Directions

1. Cut kernels from corn and set aside. Place corn cobs in a pot with 3 cups of water with the yam peels, 1/2 a red onion, carrots, 1 teaspoon of thyme, and a small amount of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and let cook while you do the remaining steps.

2. Cut yams into chunks of equal size. Coat with oil and roast in oven at 475°F (245°C) for 15 minutes.

3. Heat bacon grease in a large pot and sauté the remaining onion until softened, stirring frequently.

4. Stir in clams and yams. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn and thyme and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Strain the stock from step 1 and pour the liquid in the pot. Stir in clam juice. Cook until potatoes are softened, but not mushy.

6. Add milk and chives, and cook for another minute or two. Check salt levels and adjust as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom