Your Christmas Menu

kgord

Veteran
Local time
6:30 AM
What does your Christmas menu look like? I think I am going to make a beef roast or prime rib with the yorkshire pudding and a bit of gravy. I will also make scallopped corn..and possibly a brussel sprout dish I saw in my Food Network magazine. You use redskin potatoes, brussels sprouts and red onions for a festive look.. I am hoping to make a Bouche De Noel for dessert...and I have some red jello which I will put in a Santa mold. Mrs. Claus is broke from buying presents...and paying bills...so Christmas dinner may not be overly impressive this year!

We are having an oven baked mushroom risotto with roasted potatoes, Brussel sprouts, carrots and a creamy cashew nut sauce (so no dairy) followed by a certain chocolate aubergine torte that was featured in the recipe challenge not so long ago. It will be served with a simple cashew nut & sweet chestnut puree with melted dark chocolate over the top.

There are just two of us this year, so we'll be having ostrich fillet steaks with brandy and mushroom sauce, fresh steamed vegetables and sauteed red skinned potatoes. Followed by mincemeat crumble (much nicer and easier than christmas pudding or mince pies) and cream. Now I'm making myself hungry!!!

I have no plans for Xmas, but if I am in the island I am going to cook a full meal for my husband who can eat like it's an holiday all year round. I see lots of meats, pies and a few experiments on my day off menu.

There are just two of us this year, so we'll be having ostrich fillet steaks with brandy and mushroom sauce, fresh steamed vegetables and sauteed red skinned potatoes. Followed by mincemeat crumble (much nicer and easier than christmas pudding or mince pies) and cream. Now I'm making myself hungry!!!
Ostrich fillets! I need convincing. Tried them twice... its a very lean meat, darker than chicken or duck and has virtually no fat. I found the meat to be chewy although quite gamey in flavour. But if I'm going down the game route I'd rather have pheasant. I cooked the ostrich steaks rare, but still found them far to tough and chewy. Is there some secret to cooking them? Or perhaps its the source of the ostrich?

Its traditional turkey (nothing fancy, a de-frosted Bernard Matthews job for £9)*, roasties, sprouts, parsnips, carrots, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, nut roast for daughter. Lots of stuffing!

*Believe me, I can make a cheap frozen turkey taste OK. I hope:D

Well they all sound delicious! I hope everyone has a happy holiday! i ran out of money buying the roast...and asked friend who is coming to dinner to buy it...He wants to get a large one that was hugely expensive...I said please don't!! I am still eating turkey leftovers.

This morning's breakfast was pancake fruit and yoghurt

DSC_0739.JPG

The table is dressed ready for 1pm lunch

DSC_0792.JPG

This is my Christmas menu:

1. Sweet Ham with Pineapples
2. Roasted Chicken with my special blend of herbs and spices
3. A cheese platter with grapes for the appetizer
4. Potato salad
5. French beans
6. Lots of red and white wine for the older crowd
7. four seasons punch
8. chocolate lava cake for dessert

Just awesome my family was really happy and full.

Christmas Eve is an important dinner for families are gathered to celebrate Christmas. This what is for the table roasted whole chicken, cooked ham, fruit salad, Spaghetti with marinara sauce, cheesecake and beef stew and cooked rice. Christmas Day is another story another day to cook and dine with family and friends. Food cooked with love and shared with people you trust and care is always delicious on festive occasions.

I was not proud of my pochetta, well technically I was not able to cook it as I ran out of time. I am planning to to cook it on NYE. I know I have a few more days to prepare and improve on the recipe I found online.

Our meal was:

Salmon and Avocado Terrine, salad
Roast Turkey, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, red cabbage and shredded sprout with bacon bits
Lime Sorbet
Lancashire Poacher, Gruyere and Comté cheese, fig conserve
Mocha Parfait with Salted Caramel Praline
Christmas pudding

accompanied by the wine:

NV Hostomme Blanc de Blancs, Champagne
2000 Giraud Cuvée Fut de Chene Champagne
1998 Sumac Ridge Pinnacle, Canada
2007 Luis Cañas Reserva, Rioja
NV Williams and Humbert As You Like It Medium Sweet Amontillado, Jerez

The salmon was excellent, the turkey ordinary, the sprout side dish slightly burned!, sorbet a great palate cleanser, parfait a commendable effort (nicked from Woman & Home here) and pud also excellent.

The Giraud went with the salmon and is probably the finest champagne I've been lucky enough to drink, the Pinnacle sadly just passed its best, the rioja very good and the sherry wonderful. We started the first champagne aperitif at 15.00 and finished with coffee and petit fours around 22.30 - a good effort by all 4 participants!!

Pix to follow!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom