Your favorite room temperature hors d'oeuvre

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
9:52 PM
Time to pick your brains. Baby Sister is hosting Christmas dinner. I will bring my Drunk Pork Roast and Savory Sweet Potato Casserole. I also want to bring Hors d'oeuvre. I am looking for fresh ideas. Either very simple or make ahead. Last minute assembly is OK. Preferably served at room temperature. There will be no oven space for last minute baking at sister's house.

I look forward to your input. I know you will have wonderful ideas.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should clarify that 'hors d'oevres' has different meanings in the UK & US. In the UK it refers to a starter course served at the beginning of a meal. In the US it refers to small pieces of food eaten at a party. So 'canapés' would fall under the heading of 'hors d'oevres' in the US.

ElizabethB is (I assume) using the word in the American sense.

How about crostini with some festive spreads, like some kind of red pepper (or sun-dried tomato) hummus, or a spread made of a green-colored bean (fava or lima beans, maybe)?

On the sweet(er) side, I always make biscotti at the holidays - put some pistachios in there, maybe some golden raisins, just to keep the holiday theme going. Cut each piece in half...instant appetizer. I also drizzle mine in white chocolate if I want to sweeten it up a little.

Is it okay if ideas are for things that arrive cold/chilled, but are served at room temp?

I'm partial to deviled eggs (we almost always add a hint of mild curry powder), and I'm partial to smoked salmon roll-ups, with goat cheese, capers and fresh dill tucked inside.

I'll get back with more ideas, but I'll note someone made an excellent crostini plus cucumber plus a bell-pepper salsa that attendees could assemble as they chose at the last Saturday Thanksgiving gathering. (Ie, all three items, or just the cuke slice with salsa or just the crustini with salsa). I yummied down several.

Bread or crostini, spreadable goat cheese (or whatever spreadable cheese you prefer) some chopped chives with a drizzle of Evoo, or also some of them only with spreadable cheese and chopped hazelnuts and a pinch of black pepper.. or even chopped sun-dried tomatoes with black olives and fresh thyme..

Stuffed dates are very versatile - stuff them a variety of fillings - with cheese and olives, nuts, sun-dried tomato, cream cheese or goat's cheese sprinkled with poppy seeds or sesame seeds, cheese mixed with herbs or chilli flakes.

Bacon-wrapped almond-stuffed pruned will hold quite a while at room temp and once set out, won't last long enough to go bad.

Pesto...little flatbread triangles with pesto, that's festive. Candied or spicy nuts, always good. Another retro thing - that Chex mix stuff, and there are a ton of sweet and savory varieties of that.

Peppadews stuffed with cream cheese/ or spicy jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese.
Paté or brie on toast rounds with onion chutney.
Sticks with pesto marinated mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil .
Smoked salmon or ham rolled up and filled with dill cream cheese.
Mini baked potatoes with sour cream and fish roe.
Pizza rolls.
Mini meatballs.
Melon slices with ham.
Olives. Bar nuts. Devilled eggs.

I know the 80's want their snacks back but they are timeless classics.

Do you make your own biscotti? I only attempted it once or twice. In fact I recently discovered some I made 6 months or more ago in a tin at the back of a cupboard and they were still perfectly fine and crisp.
Yes, I make it a few times a year. I'm sure some will pop up here soon.

Back
Top Bottom