Your favourite cooking smell

I can't stand the smell of mince, whether it be raw, cooking or burnt. It always smells a bit off to me. Once it's cooked properly though, that is a different matter :D

Mince I can handle. Kidney has me running and hiding (but I love the taste).

Two weeks ago a couple who were renting a house in the village flitted* (probably owing rent) but left two dogs one of which was pregnant. She gave birth to six pups a couple of days later and currently, my wife with a few other villagers are feeding the parents.

The point is, my wife found some vastly reduced beef offal in the market yesterday and today decided to cook it with rice for them. If it hadn't have been necessary to retrieve beer from the fridge I would not have ventured into the kitchen. Even so, I didn't breathe whilst I was in there. She has just now taken it to the dogs - I shall find out later if they liked it.

[*flitted - moved house, normally under the cover of darkness]

Way back in my teenage years, I came home from work one night with an absolutely awful sore throat and cold. When I opened the porch door, this absolutely gorgeous smell hit me. I asked my Mum what it was, and she said, "Rabbit stew for the dog; you've got egg and bacon." I still don't know to this day whether the dog had egg and bacon for her dinner.:scratchhead:

I forgot about the response. The dogs appeared to have loved it so much so that they now sit outside our gate anticipating more - much to the annoyance of our Black cat.
Why is it that black cats can get terribly annoyed? My tabby would just shrug her shoulders and go back to sleep.

More food smells tonight. I passed a Chinese restaurant and smelled egg rolls frying. Then I passed a bakery, and the smell of chocolate cake cruelly wafted about. Finally, the smell of hickory and apple wood smoke and pork ribs filled the air by 125th Street and the West Side highway.

At Christmas time I love the small of the fruit cake wafting from the oven.

Also a chicken roasting, with plenty of garlic piled into the pan.

Freshly-baked bread, especially banana nut bread from my Mom's long-lost-but-now-found recipe. It smells like bananas, walnuts...and memories. :love:
Brownies or triple-chocolate cake right out of the oven.
Homemade spaghetti sauce simmering all day long.
Fresh-ground coffee. I usually make the coffee, so I grind just what we'll need for that day's pot. If hubby makes coffee, he grinds way more "for tomorrow, too - what's wrong with that?" What's wrong? You just denied me the smell of fresh ground coffee. :(
Bacon. There is a lovely Bed-and-Breakfast Inn that I've stayed at in the past that lets you select your breakfast the night before from little menus the Inn owner provides. The first time I stayed there I did not check off "bacon". When I came down in the morning to get my first cup of tea I could smell the bacon halfway up the steps. I poked my nose into the kitchen and asked if I could add a couple rashers of bacon to my plate. She laughed and said she always made more than ordered because what I was doing right then always happened with new people!

Many years ago the dads of the local kid’s (9 y.o.) football team were considering what to enter for the up and coming village fête. There didn’t appear to be any consensus between us so I suggested a food stall, specifically bacon and egg sandwiches and beef burgers. They were very skeptical about how this could be achieved on the village green, so I told them if others arranged the food I would see to the cooking facilities.

At that time the company for which I worked had a workshop only some 5 km away so I had one of the welders prepare a 600 x 400 x 25mm thick plate on short 100mm long angle legs and made arrangements for that, two 300mm industrial sized Sievert gas rings and a 50kg propane bottle to be delivered to the village on the appropriate day.

On the day of the fête we lit the burners at around 10:00 am and within the hour the hot plate was ready. Much to the annoyance of a few old fogies running a cake stall, on went the bacon and within minutes folks were coming out of the woodwork and forming a queue.

Within 90 minutes we were out of bacon and within another 30 minutes so was our village butcher and we needed to dispatch someone to a neighbouring village to replenish the meat.

By 3:00 pm we’d sold everything so shut down the gas and retired to the village pub. Returning to the scene at 6:00 pm the hotplate was only just cool enough to pick up and cart back to my garage.

5. Basil and sage.
One thing that gets me every time is the smell of fresh basil. When I make a recipe involving basil, I spend a fair amount of time just standing there and smelling it. I know, it sounds ridiculous, and I suppose it is. But, it's my kitchen, so my rules!

Back
Top Bottom