Your Favourite Dishes For Larger Numbers

SandwichShortOfAPicnic breakfast sammies aka sandwiches - we like a well stuffed buttery croissant, with ham, cheese, eggs, etc - your choice of fillings - make ahead, wrap in tin foil, pop in the oven to heat - buffet style grab `n go.
Yes to Quiche, Frittata, breakfast casseroles, again, make ahead - reheat.
Dont think Mum & Dad would care for huevos ranchero or chilaquiles - "foreign muck"
What about a Roast Turkey Lunch - most can be made ahead.
And I kinda figured you had what you'd need to accommodate to crowd.
Thanks 😊
Well they're a strange brew so if they managed to get over their reticence, sampled it and liked it up to about the 90's they're alright with it, if the concept (or their gobs 😂) didn't arrive on a particular food until later in life it's mostly a no.
So stir fries, curry, chinese and french cooking is liked even though that's foreign 🤷‍♀️

Breakfast casseroles, frittata, chilaquiles would be treated with suspicion but hueves rancheros is a yes because the ingredients are familiar and recognisable.
As I said they're like most of that older gen funny about food.

They're also ok if a dish is similar to something else they've had.

I'm steering away from a roast just because I don't want to have to produce a thousand roast potatoes 😂

I suppose I should be more tolerant of their attitude, it is normal to get less adventurous and want things to stay the same as you get older. I'm sure the irascible old man (or woman) is common in every culture.

It's just their attitude towards it all that irks a bit!

I've filled and baked croissants a lot over the years but never wrapped them in foil. Is that just to keep them hot? Does the croissant get stuck to the foil at all?

Stickage, no. When making a stuffed breakfast sandwich, it's nice to wrap them in tin foil for re-heating later I'd say.
You really could use any sort of bread product and fillings, just to make life easier with 10 guests.
A pen and paper are probably your best pals right about now...

As I said they're like most of that older gen funny about food.

Hey there! I'm not sure how old they are but...

I was thinking about a soup for lunch (easy to make a large batch) with a cheese board and crusty bread/crackers to follow.

How do they feel about fish? I don't suppose the vegetarian is pescatarian?

I was thinking about a soup for lunch (easy to make a large batch) with a cheese board and crusty bread/crackers to follow.

Soups definitely on the list as an evening meal after a larger lunch.

Thinking they can then take as much or as little as their tums tell them to of garlic bread croutons or maybe pão de queijo (gluten free) that Medtran kindly send a link to the other day 👍

Cheeseboards are out as there's not enough decent dairy free cheese that can stand alone as a tasty ingredient, maybe one day 🤷‍♀️

Fish is yes. Was thinking three sides of salmon (herb crusted and served cold) with shredded chinese leaf dill salad, pea pesto and some good potato salad.
What are you thinking fish wise?

ps definitely a generation above you, and even if you were part of that older generation you wouldn't have been one of those!

You'd have been one of the early movers n shakers, the first to introduce Blighty to exotic foods like lasagne 😂

Fish is yes. Was thinking three sides of salmon (herb crusted and served cold) with shredded chinese leaf dill salad, pea pesto and some good potato salad.
What are you thinking fish wise?
i was thinking salmon too because its popular with most people - although I don't actually like it unless its smoked salmon.

ps definitely a generation above you, and even if you were part of that older
How old are they?

Well you could but I think its tricky and takes a long time (12 hours?). It needs to be cured first in any case so you could make gravadlax. Its really easy. If you want to impress try this version for colour (you don't need to include the liquorice):

Recipe - Beetroot & Liquorice Cured Gravadlax
I was thinking I’d either gravadlax it first then lightly smoke it or do hot smoked.

I’ve never done a beetroot version, it looks fantastic ❤️

Back
Top Bottom