Your least and most used kitchen appliance/utensil?

The microwave oven does cook a potato quite quickly, but I'm not a fan of the texture. It comes out hot as h3LL, but is still a bit hard.

CD
If it is still hard then I assume it needs to spend more timer under the radio waves.

The other day I saw a meme (in portuguese) saying air fryers are kind of a cult :laugh: Which I think they are.

They are one of the most divisive topics of our age :D

I think you’ll find one of the most divisive is fish 😆

Or whether MSG is bad for you, that one always brings out the sharp knives 😂

It would be interesting to know how many people have an air fryer and don‘t like or use them.
A lot of the negative commentary about them generally comes from folk who don’t have one (that’s not aimed at you CD I know you’ve said you don‘t have the space).

It would be interesting to know how many people have an air fryer and don‘t like or use them.
A lot of the negative commentary about them generally comes from folk who don’t have one (that’s not aimed at you CD I know you’ve said you don‘t have the space).

My sister wanted one, so I bought her one for Christmas in 2021. I asker her about it a couple of months ago. She said she's used it a couple of times -- in two years.

CD

Well now I want to know Trump’s position on air fryers. It’ll either be “tremendous” or “the worst thing in the history of mankind.” :laugh:

"Air fryers are great, great things. Not as great as me, but pretty great. I remember a grown man, and big strong man, coming up to me with tears in his eyes, and saying 'Sir, I just love my air fryer.'" Air fryers are cooking machines, the likes of which has never been seen before. Fake cooks say they're not good. They're just jealous of my... er, air fryer's success..."

1705426529201.png

Last edited:
What things do you cook in the air fryer? I sometimes wonder about the sanity of running the oven for an hour to bake a couple of russet potatoes. Perhaps the air fryer would make a more sensible approach. Of course Morning Glory probably recommends the microwave oven. I haven't tried that.
We chose our airfryer carefully. It's small and compact, for 2 people. Only just bigger than our normal sized kettle. And it is designed to be used as an oven. We bought the BBQ grill attachment as well as an extra shelf that stands on said grill. I think it came with silicon muffin cups for baking in but we gave those away. It also has the airfryer basket which sees a lot less use than the BBQ grill plate.

It doubles or triples as an oven and a BBQ/grill. So we can cook anything that can go on a BBQ or grill, or get cooked in an oven. We actually don't really use it for the concept of frying. It tends to be a de-oiler if anything. We spend our lives removing oil from the bottom of our's.

It can certainly bake potatoes or anything else such as muffins or cupcakes if you wanted it to. We've not used it for cakes and muffins, but we have used it for baking vegetables including potatoes.

Last edited:
Yer but as you’ve pointed out before she doesn't cook much, doesn’t eat that well and eats out a lot.

Ah, but she did cook up a bunch of things, like chicken breasts, to keep in the freezer to pull out and microwave after work. She has this electric indoor grill (BBQ) that she uses a lot for that.

From what I've heard from YouTube reviews, air fryers do a handful of things very well, and a lot of other things poorly. That's not unexpected. A hammer is not good for driving screws, and a screwdriver sucks as sinking nails.

If I had a big kitchen, or a butlers pantry off of my kitchen, I might buy an air fryer for the few things it does very well. But, they just don't do enough things better than the stuff I already have to justify the space one would take up.

Same with a crock pot or InstaPot. I have three Le Crueset Dutch ovens, they are my crock pots. I don't need to cook a stew in 20 minutes, so I don't need a pressure cooker. If I want to make fried chicken, I want to make GOOD fried chicken, not "it's okay, but it uses less fat" fried chicken. I'll stick to pan frying or deep frying for that.

Baked potatoes? I have an oven built into my kitchen. It takes an hour? So what. Energy savings? How much? Air fryers typically use 800 to 2,000 watts of power, depending on the model and manufacturer. A regular oven uses 2,000 to 3,000 watts. What's the ROI? How many potatoes do I need to bake for the Air Fryer to pay for itself. Will it take a year? Two years? Five years?

Don't get me wrong, air fryers have their place, just not I'm my kitchen.

CD

I saw a thread like this but it was 10 years old. With so many new members here, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask again.

Excluding stovetop and oven :laugh:

My most used kitchen appliance: definitely the coffee machine and toaster that are used everyday. Second the hand mixer which is used every week.

Least used: sandwich maker - inherited from my grandparents and never used, not even once. Slow cooker - I just hate that thing.

What are yours?
most used kitchen appliance: Refrigerator and stove

Least used: exact sandwich maker I bought it on my wife's recommendation and now I regret it :happy:

The coarse one is used a lot in Mexico, where it is called a molcajete.

I have a smooth one, made of marble. The weight of the marble makes it easier to grind things.

CD
It's Indonesian, called ulekan and cobek.
There's also a flat coarse one that I still want to get (although it may be overkill as I got 5 already, and 2 wooden ones)

I have a garlic press, but it hardly ever gets used. It IS one of my least-used gadgets. I'd much rather chop up the gloves in the chopper, rather than to put them through THIS thing. I find it hard to clean! And if you don't get all the garlic out, it could sit there & start stinking!!! You don't want that!!! Cute as they look, it can definitely be a drudgery to clean!! :yuck:
Garlic Press..jpg

Back
Top Bottom